Rider down at Deal's Gap :( - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Rider down at Deal's Gap :(

Sorry if this has been posted already, I did a search and didn't find anything...

I just learned that on July 20th a great guy by the name of Keith Huckabey fell victim to the Dragon. He is one of the guys running the MSSR (Mid-South Sport Riders organization) in Memphis, and also teaches MSF courses. The few times I talked to him, he was always very friendly and eager to ride anytime.

Below is a picture Keith sent to me a few months ago... next to his new R1

Here is a short note from one of his close friends:

"Keith was a very experienced rider, MSF instructor & friend to anyone that met him. He was the one guy in the group that would talk to you like he had known you his whole life even if it was your first time to show up for a ride. He was extremely active in all realms of sportriding organizations from the AMA to the HSTA to our local MSSR club & will always be considered a true leader. He drifted wide on a blind turn & crossed the yellow into the path of an oncoming car. He grabbed too much front brake, washed the front end, and the car ran over him. It should be known that in addition to Keith being a highly experienced rider he also preached rider safety & never did anything even remotely stupid. Crossing the yellow line in our riding group is a sin and will result in you being ridiculed for weeks so I can only assume that he drifted wide for a reason other than just carrying too much corner speed. He was a founder of our club slogan 'make the turn'."

R.I.P

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:20 AM

Sad news bro, prayers out to his family and friends. R.I.P.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Founder

Keith's name has been added to our "In Memory" page. Rest in peace bro.

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/in_memory.php

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:03 AM

All Riders should pause a moment after reading this. Realize no matter how much experience we have or dont have. We must respect our bikes each and every time we get on them. Our prayers are with him and his family.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:21 AM
Honda Moderator

DOH! I'm the one that wrote that original message about Keith, but had no idea how it got out of my RC51 forum...

Keith's funeral was Thursday & the turn out was impressive & touching to say the least. I am still at a loss for words & my direction in the world of sportbikes is not totally clear. My whole life revolves around this sport, but I have been given a graphic reminder to the inherent dangers of what we do. Many of the activities I attended with the MSSR were predicated on Keith's involvement & many times if he was not participating I didn't either.

Keith was my friend & mentor & although I still feel the desire to continue on in search of excellence & enjoyment in riding as I know he would want us to do, something is definitely missing from my drive. I hope that in time I will regain the interest & fervor that has pushed me all these years, but not at the expense of my memories of Keith. His demeanor & tutelage is a strong part of who I am today as I have always wanted to be like him in many respects. He was one of those guys that was just a natural leader & his poise instantly commanded respect. I know it sounds corny, but just standing next to him you knew you were in the presence of greatness on many different levels.

No one person will ever be able to fill his shoes, but it is my greatest hope that the collection of people that knew him will make an effort to extoll his qualities & pass them on to other sportriders.

Michael Wheeler
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:58 AM

No one's words will bring a lighter side to this tragedy. Although now is the time for us all to support his family and his friends. And although he is gone to the "track in the sky" we must all have the strength to turn the key and continue the riding that we do. We may never be able to emulate his style or leadership but we can all bring some of his spirit everyday that we ride. Take 2 seconds out of our busy day, and appreciate and remeber this man's dedication and contributions to Sportbike Riding across the US. May god bless his family and friends. All of us from Northern Virginia wish you the best bro.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:09 PM

My wife and I stopped in that area this weekend(yesterday). I'm not sure of the actual spot where he went down. Someone went down on Hwy 28 at the "10 mph" turn and from the story I've been hearing, it is where Keith went down.

Our thoughts were with his family.

I spoke with and rode with a friend of his this weekend. He had a lot of respect for Keith.

It appears one too many hardcore runs through the turns got him but he went out doing what he loved very much.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:19 PM

I didn't know this gentleman but I am deeply saddened by the loss. The sense of brotherhood created by these machines that we ride is incredible! I truly hope that those closest to him understand that he is now in a very safe place.

Everyone please take a moment out of your busy day to remember a fellow rider.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:14 PM

I did know Keith and like his friends in Memphis, am shocked and dismayed by his loss. I met him several years ago at HSTA events and races. He was the kind of fellow that made almost anyone feel as if they'd known him for years. He was a true ambassador for motorcycling.

He encouraged me to go to Europe next month with himself and other folks from Memphis. I will still go.... and I will hoist a lager in his memory.

I will miss his daily emails and the genuine friend that I had made. I know that there are countless other people out there who feel the same way. He was just one of those people.

Godspeed, Keith.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:52 PM

Bike Week on 7/30

And one more thing. I read on the MSSR site that the piece Dave Despain did on the MSSR will be aired tomorrow night. Keith was a major player in this. Watch if you want to learn about a dynamic group and one of their finest members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode