Finally rode the RC - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Finally rode the RC

i have good results to report..

i like the rocket strapped to your back feel of the torque..
i like the pitched fwd racing position..
the bike seems planted as can be

complaints,

didnt get to ride it long enough to tell if i'd like steering that thing for a long amount of time. it was stock tho.
felt a bit heavy not too much.
wish it revved up juss alittle farther, can mods fix this?
riding position will probably be cramped for rides long than an hour.

all in all, i liked it, i dont know about the ppl that say it doesnt feel that fast, i thought i was sneaky fast to me with all that torque..sorry but i dont need to do a hundred and 50 often at all..

the only other complaint, in my opinion is, it doesnt seem to stand out amongst other 3/4 liter inlines despite its limited prod nature. should i ride pipped, pwr commander, rims, suspension, flapper valve etc modded up bike to decide?

im torn between the inline revving nature and tiwns, i sure could live with that torque..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 01:59 PM

[first post, hello all ]

I recently bought an '01 RC51. It's stock aside from some cosmetic and a tooth up (41) in the rear. I come from inline 4's
(cbr600/gsxr750/zx7) so that's where most of my experience is.
First thing I noticed too were the revs, I found myself hitting the limiter quite often for the first few rides. I've learned that I have to relearn the way I listen to the bike for shifting. You're right, the power is decieving, I look up and i'm doing 100+ mph with little effort.
So far, so good.. but it _is_ a totally different experience (twins vs inline4s). I'm in love with the torque, but I'm missing the revs.
The wheelie factor is a little disappointing as it seems much harder to stand the bike up vs any of the 4's I've owned. It's
been a few years since I last rode so I'm a little timid anyway, which is surely effecting my willingness to push it.

I'm glad I bought the '51, not sure what I'll feel like in 6 months but for now it's great.

have fun...

-e
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 02:37 PM

The RC is the most "revvy" twin I've ridden, in fact it seems to me too much like an I-4. Ride a TLS or VTR with pipes sometime, you may be hooked!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
The RC is the most "revvy" twin I've ridden, in fact it seems to me too much like an I-4. Ride a TLS or VTR with pipes sometime, you may be hooked!
i'd have to agree, that it is probably the most "revvy" of the twins. i owned a monster 900 with 2 up on the rear and i was constantly bouncing the rev limiter, err until the carbs sputtered.., the RC is nothin like the monster, but i rode my freinds gSXR 750 earlier today to compare my fresh RC ride.. i really dont know what to think of both anymore.. does this happen to anyone? im juss happy to be on a bike..

but aside from all that, i like the fact that an inline has a dr jekyl mr hyde approach, you stay below 8 thousand and its a shirt and tie for tootin around town, rev it past 8 towards 10 and she screams for more!

but even so, it was fun ripping around in the 4 to 8 thousand range for 10 minutes with ALL, let me say that agian, ALL that torque.

so now my decision is yet even harder, it changed nothin..
it boils down to juss buy one!! *shooting myself in the ass*
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 04:12 AM

The RC has a soft rev limiter at aroun 9300rpm with the hard limiter at ~10500rpm. The power just levels off from 9300 up. If you override the soft limiter you gain 3-4 more hp. The bike revs much quicker than most twins.

The speed is very deceiving. You think you are just cruising then you look at the speedo and realize you are flying.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:53 PM

I have a '98 TLR (not since 98)... that I got after having a Triumph Tripple (01 SprintST) and having ridden my friends Yamaha YZF600R (I4)... what got me hooked was the power delivery & torque from my wifes Suzuki SV650s... I just needed a little more. The TLR delivers in spades. With ~118hp and 74ft/lbs of torque, at lower speeds (read sane street speeds) it gets the job done! Not the rush of the 4, or combo torque/rush of the tripple... just tons of torque everywhere. I'll second the "deceptive speed" note from above. The Sprint feels faster, but a look at distance traveled vs. spedo reading shows that the twin is cooking along, it just doesn't feel as fast.

Last edited by chromy; 07-30-2002 at 05:55 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 11:46 PM

IMHO... I love torque. I just think torque has a certain ear to ear smile fun factor. Especially when it comes to street light to street light. When battles are fought to 100mph the short rev and all that torque comes in handy. I think the RC is a great bike.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode