Which is the correct foot to put weight during cornering? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Question Which is the correct foot to put weight during cornering?

This question may sound like a beginners question, but I've been riding with my weight on the outside foot when cornering and hanging. Then I've read that you should put your weight on the dragging foot. I then changed my riding style and found that by applying the weight on the inside foot, I can turn a corner at a much sharper arc.

Now, I've just read the post on countersteering, and to my surprize, some said that the right foot to apply weight on is the outside! So, what do you guys think? weight on inside or outside foot?

By the way, an off-topic question. Why don't choppers have rear suspention? Don't they bounce around a lot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Founder

I (personally) put my weight on the outside foot.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:17 PM

This is a question I've been wondering about quite a bit lately. Personal experimentation has led me to keep my weight more or less neutral (sometimes a bit on the inside) when leaning the bike over, but as soon as it's leaned into the turn I weight my outside foot. It seems to stand the bike up a little and make it much more stable. I'm very curious to hear what other have to say about this!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:47 PM

Well..

I've been putting most of my weight on the inside foot, but then again I suck. It just seems more stable to me with the weight there rather than outside. I'll know for sure when I start taking racing courses next season.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:53 PM

Before you should think about what foot to put weight on, make sure that you are not just placing your foot flatfooted on the pegs. You need to ride on the balls of your feet, like how a catcher sits behind the plate in baseball.

J
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:22 PM

i juss finished that chapter in codes book.. from what i remember, to stay stable, weight on the outside, but ima look it up agian, and will post later..
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:00 PM

From my experiences of trial and "crash" I have learned to put my weight on the outside foot. When you're cornering and your bike is leaned over, think about where your center of gravity is and where your weight is. If you bike is in full lean and you are weighing down your inside foot, sticky tires won't be enough.

To an ealier post, foot placement seems to be more of a preference. I know myself and a majority of the racers I see are more on their toes, right where the toes connect to the foot. For me when I need to flick my bike quicker in cornering, that part of my foot seems to respond faster than the ball of my foot and when you are leaned over, it may be difficult to keep any other part of the foot planted on the peg or rearset.

Sorry so long, just my thoughts...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:11 PM

As I was told:

Weight the leg opposite the lead counter-steer arm!

Meaning: L Turn (Counter-steer L Arm) Weight Right Leg
Meaning: R Turn (Counter-steer R Arm) Weight Left Leg

Taught by a true master!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 01:58 AM

Im not sure about the foot thing, but as for the choppers i think the name for it is a riged mount. I think but i could be wrong(if someone knows for sure please correct me), but the fat boys are like that and use some sort of a rubber block for a dampining effect. As for a full fleged chopper ya it is one uncomfortable ride. My dads friend bought a captain america replica bike from i think panzer or something and it came with peter fondas autograph on the tank, but he told the guys he didnt want peter fonda any wear near his bike so he autographed a helmet. Anyways he rode it up to sturgis one year abought eight hours from omaha. He spent most of the day in the tent sleeping the ride off cause it was so bad. I think the main reason is for looks than anything else. That bike halled ass though, but i guess anything else would with only a seat a two gallon gas tank and a alluminum(sp?) frame.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:01 AM

Weighting the "inside" peg promotes slide, weighting the "outside " peg promotes grip. Not my theory but one I read in a story about Kenny Jnr.

When you look at it, the inside peg is on the deck, as is the rear tyre. So weighting it is not unlike kicking the back end out from under you. Weighting the outside peg is not unlike standing up on the bike, which pushes the rear down into the road, and helps the bike stand up under acceleration as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode