Damm brake locks!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Damm brake locks!!!

I am trying not to laugh at myself while posting this. Well here it goes. I have read plenty of other threads in the past regarding brake locks, and i should have listened to other people experience. I went out with some friends the other night. We were in an area i didnt know very well and planning on leaving our bikes there for a couple hours. So i bust out the trusty brake lock that i never use, everyone arrives and we decide to leave ( I forget about the brake lock ). About a foot of travel and BAMM my bikes is on the ground. This was very upsetting because it was the first time I have droppped my bike! So this is where I listen to other peoples advice, either use the brake lock evrytime you get off your bike or never use it at all!!!! I amm gonna vote for never use it,...................

Not much damage to the bike. The engine case was scratched a little along with the left blinker,.......no damage to the plastics YaY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:27 AM

Unhappy Dayuum...

Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your bike. This is my third time reading a post about those dayuum brake locks. That's the reason why I refuse to put them on my bike. I know I'll have a couple brain farts (especially in the morning) and it will by costly.

Brat
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:32 AM

I broke a caliper bracket by doing that.

I made a little clip to use with my brake lock. I made it out of a small binder clip with a ring attached. When I installed the lock I would put the clip on the starter switch to remind me that the lock was installed. No more problems.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:59 AM

Have owned one of those brake locks ---

--- since 1999 & never used it. Not even tried it. So money down the drain!!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:03 AM

Sorry about the bike - that stinks.

When I take my lock out of its little bag, I drop my keys in the bag. That way I can't start my bike without seeing the lock's case. It's worked so far.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:37 AM

Re: Have owned one of those brake locks ---

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
--- since 1999 & never used it. Not even tried it. So money down the drain!!!!!
PERHAPS:

you have in fact saved money by not joining the crew of unfortunates
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:41 AM

I sold my FZR with a broken front fender.
The day after I got my bike I pulled away forgetting about the U lock i put on the night before...
I was pissed to say the least
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:10 AM

I think brake locks were created by motorcycle companies to GUARANTEE an increase of parts sales. Seems like everyone forgets them and ends up with their bike on the pavement and spending as much or more in parts than just paying the deductible for a stolen ride.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 11:40 AM

Bungee cord through the lock and back up to the bars is enough to remind me.

Most of the time that is...
Cheers,
Pat
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 05:40 AM

I bought one of those yellow reminder cables and always use it. the cable also comes in handy if I need to lock up helmet or jacket. when I need to take tank bag, helmet, and jacket someplace and leave them, the cable has loops on both ends so I string it through helmet, jacket sleave, and tank bag handle, lock all this to something. Like at a picnic to a table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode