Need some help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Need some help

Hey everyone,

This question maybe should fall under the gear catagory, but I kinda need an answer quick and it takes a while in that forum.

I just got my first motorcycle jacket, Alpinestars TZ-1 leather.

My question is, how tight are they supposed to fit, and since it has precurved sleeves and articulated shoulders is it supposed to feel tight/stiff when you are standing with your arms strait?

I am 5ft 10.5 inches tall, and weigh 173. I got a 42US/52EU size, since my chest measures about 40 relaxed, 41.5 flexed. It would be too small if it was a regular jacket, but I have heard motorcycle jackets are meant to be tight. Its not like skin tight, but it would be snug with a sweat shirt underneath.

Any advice you can give I would surely appreciate. I just dont want to wear the jacket if I need to return it for a bigger size.

Thanks in advance,
Sheridan

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:52 AM

Sounds like it fits just right ! If it were too big, the padding would slide away from where you would want it to be if/when you slide on the pavement.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:47 AM

It will loosen up as you break it in.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys, thats what I was thinking but since I am new to this I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again,
Sheridan

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:15 AM

Hey Sheridan,

It's me, LoveMyR6, your biker buddy from Missouri. Listen, I am thinking about picking up an Alpinestars TZ-1 in the next couple of days. I want to know how you like the jacket so far? Is it pretty comfy, and is the leather starting to break in pretty good? I have had a JR Speedmaster for the last few months, and that damn thing is still not broken in! How's the armour? Is there a zipper attatchment for pants? What about riding when the temps are "hot as hell" LOL, does the ventilation work pretty good?
I was also interested in the Alpinestars Dyno Jacket, but from my understanding, it does not come with the GP armour. Again, I will probably buy this jacket in the next few days, but I would like to get some feedback on it's quality before I make the purchase.

Thanks, and Ride Safe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:26 AM

Sheridan

I have an alpinestar jacket, and thought the same when i bought mine...When i was trying on different sizes the guy keot getting me smaller and smaller jackets...

I was like WTF is this azzhole trying to do to me....Basically i found out you want the jacket to fit fairly snug but not so tight, where its choking the chytt of your torso....Also sit on your bike w/ your new leather in the riding positon, i bet it will feel more comfy then when just standing...

Well, the only thing i can say is after that puppy breaks in, your gonna love it .....Just give it some time.....LAda bro....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the info Ruff-rida, it is breaking in great and your right about it feeling better in the riding position

LovemyR6---Crazy weather for biking lately here huh?..95+ weather everyday, unless its raining and then who wants to ride lol.

About the TZ-1: The jacket is getting better now, its actually breaking in pretty quickly i would say. The collar is at least 2 layers of the leather, so its going to take a little while, but the collar isnt horrible as is. The first thing I thought when I got the jacket was 'damn this is THICK leather'. Lots of the arm/chest seems to be double layers of the leather. The seams/fit/finish are excellent. Zipper is easy to work, not like some casual leather jackets I have had that hang up at the bottom. It does have a zipper for pants attachment around the rim of the jacket. The armour is very good from what I can tell. Its dual density foam padding, with a hard layer of plastic on the outside. The armour covers more of your elbows/forearms/shoulders than I thought it would, which is a plus There is a foam back protecter included that goes all the way from the tail bone to the neck, and its removable so you could also put in a GP back protector if you wanted. Its in a zippered pocket just like the other armour, but its velcroed in place all the way up so it wont move around. The jacket comes with a zip out insulated vest liner, which of course I took out for now. The liner is mesh, and the ventilation consists of holes in the leather on the white part on the chest. At first I didn't think that would help at all, but its really not bad. Last saturday I drove 120 miles to columbia and back (round trip) right at noon, with the jacket on, and it wasnt hot till I got in the stop and go traffic of columbia As far as pockets its got 2 external pockets like most jackets, 2 inside pockets in the jacket, and two inside pockets in the removable vest liner. 6 pockets...not bad considering the ads for it dont mention any. Oh, the waist is also adjustble by changing snap positions on the side.

I know I just typed a novel, but when I was looking for jackets, I got SO SICK of the piss poor descriptions, and finding anyone with the jackets I wanted just didn't happen. So if you have any other questions just ask, I tried to cover all I could think of.

By the way....I just found out there is amature track days at Gateway race ways road course....have you ever tried that out?

Later,
Sheridan

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 12:46 PM

Hey Sheridan,

Thanks for the fast reply. I am sitting at my desk debating whether or not to buy this jacket. But from your description, I think I am going to pick it up!! I can get it for about 260 (way cheaper than the other alpinestars jackets), and it sounds like it offers just as much protection. The only thing now is to figure out my size and color. I just picked up a red/black/white '02 R1, so I am either going to get the black or red TZ-1. Are the colors pretty true? It is kind of hard to tell online. What about the fit? I am 5'10" 180lbs, and I have a 44" chest. I wear a 44 in the Joe Rocket Speedmaster jacket. Does the TZ-1 fit a bit on the small or large size? I want as snug as possible.

I have never raced my bike at Gateway, but I always go there to watch everyone else race. I am going to put my R1 on the track as soon as I have everything broken in. Wednesdays and Fridays are test and tune days, so you can pay 15 dollars and run all night. There are many events that are coming up, so check their website for more info.
I appreciate the "novel". LOL I want as much info as I can get on this jacket. Also, where did you get yours?

Thanks Again

Oh, and when I picked my new R1 up last Saturday, the heat index here in St. Louis was 111 degrees. Talk about crazy....I rode this baby straight home because I thought I would pass out because of the heat. LOL

Last edited by LoveMyR6; 07-31-2002 at 12:50 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Hey,

I can't really say if the jacket fits tighter than others, because its my first motorcyle jacket that I have even put on. I had a girl measure my chest with a tape, and it was 39.5 totally relaxed and breath normal, and about 41.5 flexed. They told me to get a 42, which in alpinestars is a 52 because european sizes are US+10. I don't think mine is too tight, but I definatly wouldnt have gotten it any smaller. Id say its a perfect fit. By the way, I'm 5' 10, 173 pounds with 33" waist. The jacket isn't tight around my waist, but I can move the snaps on the waist band to their tighter position and it is snug

I bought mine from KNEEDRAGERS.com, but I will tell you its going to be tough to find one in stock anywhere. They are on national backorder, so if the places you check with don't have it in stock, but say they can order it, there will be a LONG wait. I was lucky and they had mine in stock, last one in my size.

As far as the colors. I liked the picture of it online and in the brochure they sent me. However, all my friends who saw the pics were ragging on me for getting "red leather" (ex. "micheal jackson"). But a couple of friends were here when it came, and they said right off the bat it wasnt bad at all. The red is definatly red as in the pics, but this leather isnt shiney glossy red, its flat red. When i put my arm next to my tank, you can tell it doesnt match perfectly, but when I am sitting on the bike, it looks like it matches fine. (speaking of wich, try wearing a matching leather jacket in a town of 13,000 people, all of who that sport bikes ride in shorts and t shirts) I stand out to say the least. But thats a good thing.

When I was shopping for mine, I asked first for a black one, just because no one in the little town wears matching jackets for their bike color. However they didnt have any black ones in my size, so I asked about the red one, since it was what I had originally wanted. The reason I got a motorcycle jacket was safety. I figured the first priority was will it protect, second, was it comfortable enough that I would actually wear it. With me riding in the heat, the red picks up a lot less heat than the black one would have, and is a lot more visible at nite, since I ride home from work every nite after dark.

It is a hard choice about the colors, and its even harder to try to tell colors with words lol, but the red doesnt look tacky in my opinion, and everyone so far has liked it that has seen it.

Hope that helps,
Sheridan

Oh by the way, that test and tune $15 is for drag racing right? The thing I read about was on their road racing course and it said $100 for the day. I woud love to try the bike on the track, just to get a feel for at the limit cornering without fearing gravel or oncoming traffic.

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode