1160 miles in 1 sitting - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

1160 miles in 1 sitting

hopefully to pick up my new bike i will be going to michigan at 5am tomorrow, and arrive at 10:30am on thursday, where i will immediately start my 1160 mile trip back home... in one sitting, think it's even possible?.. people are welcome to give me cell phone numbers to ride stretches of it with me ;]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

oops

i'm going to post the long part of the directions so anyone that wants to ride a while with me on the way back (if anyone at all can), on a different note, if you need any pictures of movies hosted, email or pm me ;].. anyway, directions...
4: Merge onto I-94 E. 255.11 miles
5: Stay straight to go onto I-39 S (Portions toll). 67.19 miles
6: Stay straight to go onto I-90 E (Portions toll). 107.04 miles
7: Take the I-65/US-12/DUNES HWY/US-20 exit- exit number 17- towards INDIANAPOLIS. 0.73 miles
8: Keep RIGHT at the fork in the ramp. 0.32 miles
9: Merge onto I-65 S. 149.33 miles
10: Take the exit- exit number 111- towards MICHIGAN ST./OHIO ST./FLETCHER AVE.. 0.21 miles
11: Merge onto I-65 S. 568.25 miles

i'm assuming if you live close to any of that riding, you'd know it... anyway, thanks ;]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:05 AM

Personally, I don't think logging that many miles in one sitting is safe, unless you're on a 'Wing. You'll be getting beat up by highway wind, 18-wheelers, possible weather conditions, all on a new saddle. I say you play it safe and get a cheap hotel room in the middle of the trip.

Just my $.02.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:44 PM

Bonk is CORRECT.

I have ridden some LONG distances, but never tried to flirt my life with other vehicles when I knew I would become tired & not alert.
Like Bonk says, find yourself a motel. I have slept in haystacks, off in the ditch or patch of trees, by a tractor in a field, etc,
Even on a short trip of 300 miles I will pull into a quite area, have some water & part of a sandwich I have made for the trip (on my way back for that is when one becomes more tired then at the start), plus knowing I have reserve immergency rations in case something holds me up overnight
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:55 PM

No way in hell would I attempt that. 1100 miles in a car is a long, tiring day for me. Seems like it would be a miserable trip on a bike. Good luck on the trip dude. Have the time and money available for a hotel stay, just in case.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

the problem here is age, i'm 17 - i am an emancipated minor, so anyone who knows anything legal knows that legally, contract wise, ownership wise, i'm an adult - however most hotels take so long looking over my emancipation papers it takes me 6 hours to check in, so unless someone who lives halfway down the trip wants to be my name on a hotel room and let me pay them, i'll be atleast attempting to make a one trip shot of it - how successful it will be we'll see, i know to stop when i start getting tired, or not as alert... but i think if i rest right, and i stop frequently to keep myself hocked up on gatorade and good food in me, i'll atleast have a fighting chance. and a REALLY sore ass when i get home.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:02 PM
UFO

The real question is, why do you have to drive 1/3 of the way across the country to find a 954?

And the answer to your question is: No. You have to piss sometime.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

that's called i haven't updated my profile yet, see - i got a 954 brand new, and then my daddy (me being 17, and he got it for me) decided it was not a good idea to buy brand new, or him pay for it, so i'm going 1/3rd of the way across the country to buy my very own 1995 honda cbr 900 rr with my very own money, and hey.. i could always get one of those old people bladder-on-your-leg deals.. and another one for water (ew)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cmd954
i could always get one of those old people bladder-on-your-leg deals.. and another one for water (ew)
Just don't confuse the two
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Founder

If I lived in that area you would be more than welcome to crash at my place, but Arizona is a little out of your way.

Be carefull and if you get tired pull off the side of the road and sleep on the ground if ya have to.

P.S. Be sure and update us after the trip and let us know you made it back home safe!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode