K&n - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
GIX

K&n

I'm looking into buying a K&N airfilter. I'm trying to compare prices. So far Cycle Depot has told me $47.00 (thats including shipping). They told me if I found it cheaper they would beat anyones price. Does anyone know of any other sites I could check out. So far I have look at: Starcycles, Parts411,Lockhart Phillips, Chaparral, MAW to name a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:43 PM

dOOd, if you want to waste $47

send it to me....you'll feel the same amount of performance gain, and i'll be $47 richer....dont waste your good money on the k&n hype...ive asked the question before and got NO answer, and ill ask it again.....how many race teams in ama, nascar or any where(besides some dune buggy) use these things????????
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
GIX

I have seen you on here before talking about K&N. I have heard different things. Some people say they don't get any performance gains. And some people I have heard say good things about them. That including a guy I ride with from time to time. I'm kind of in a confused state right now.

I have another question for you. How do you go about cleaning a stock air filter?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:34 AM

you can take the stock air filter and use compressed air and blow it from the inside out.. i hold mine up and look through it at the sun, if i can see light i reuse it, if no i get a new one..

you can go to other motorcycle sites and this subject is there too..when a company like k&n has a endless supply of money to hock there wares, its difficult not to get caught up in their advertising..i fell for it too, until i was told by a couple PRO tuners that the k&ns were not what they were cracked up to be, lossing between 3-5 horsepower on my bike...

sure you can clean them and they'll last for a million miles, but i spent $700.00 for a exhaust system that i might have gotten 5 horsepower from, sure dont want to lose that power to a $60.00 filter..

has anyone found a racing team that uses the k&n's??? in ama, nascar....if there so great why dont you see a race team using them???hhmmmmm!!!!!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda Moderator

Ask the people that say the good things to show you a dyno chart. Oooh wait a minute why not ask K&N for some dyno charts? Oops nevermind THEY DON'T HAVE ANY!

On some bikes the K&N works on most it does not, but the people that stand up for them by saying that it is as simple as leaning out the already rich mixture for reaping benefits are pretty much clueless.

I have done extensive dyno testing for years & I do not condone them. I've posted this many times so I suppose one more time won't hurt...

http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:05 AM

I was just going to suggest you contact LDH & pick up true & valuable info from him, but he beat me to the punch, besides in this way you can actually see what he is talking about.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:05 PM

also............................................

how come theres no test of the k&n against a stock filter or the other brands..could it be money??????

the magazines test every thing from valve stem caps to exhaust systems...come on give me a break...not one the frickin editors would answer my e-mails on the subject....bastards..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:15 AM

I've got a K&N vortex ram air filter on my corvette... they claim it adds 15-20hp! NO! I dont believe it, what it does is allow you to more effectively use the horses that you do have... but it does feel like you got more HP and there is definitely a noticeable difference in performance and sound with my vette.

Bikes though? I have no experience....

M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode