twins, love em or hate em - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Question twins, love em or hate em

this is not your inline vs. twins question..

im lusting to know what its like to ride an RC. and i have this question..

it seems that riding twins is a love hate situation.. something like that.. anyhow.. i had a ducati monster m900 with 2 up on the rear, slip ons and a dynojet stage 2 kit..i rode it about five or six times... and the twin feeling wasnt particularly impressive..

for those that rode a twin and fell in love.. would you know immediately? i wasnt impressed with the twin feeling.. can somebody tell me if im suppose to give it more time? im tryin to figure out if a twin is for me..

i came from inlines.. and i know what thats all about, but am trying to see if a twin is for me so i can get an RC51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:04 AM

Long live the torque! Death to rear tires!

I really really like riding my Superhawk. But then I would enjoy just about any motorcycle. Just cause you rode a Ducati doesnt mean you dont like twins, it just means you didnt like that one. A Buell is a 45 degree twin, ( not sure about the firebolt series ), an Aprilia is a 60 degree twin I think, and a TLR is a 90 degree twin that likely is way more powerful than the twin you rode. Ditto for the RC. And technically a gs500 or old RD350 is a twin too but I dont think thats what you had in mind. OR maybe you dont like twins after all. Try another one before giving up. And yes I know most IL4 bikes have more horsepower but personally I dont need any more than the 100+ Ive already got.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 03:39 AM

Cool Twins Kick ASS!!

Love 'em or hate 'em is right! Riding a twin takes a little different riding style. You have to be a little smoother with the gears and throttle. this is especially true when setting up for corners. I came from in-line 4's, myself. I used to be big on engine braking before a turn, rather than using the brakes to scrub speed. My Hawk put an end to that! The first time I did that, the back end came way around! Twins are also less forgiving if you are roll on/off/on the gas. Some people either don't like. or never adapt to them. Most twins make all there power in the low and mid-range, so for around town and "street light drags" you are the king! The top end is where it suffers. For a street bike this is fine, you rarely exceed the 120 + that gives the in-lines the advantage. The RC51 is a different ride all together. It has a much greater rev range, and fuel injection that makes it alot more superior to most twins.
My experience has been that twins "feel" like they turn in quicker, and you can definitely get on the gas sooner. They aren't for everyone, but if you like that, snap your head back torque feel, a twin can't be beat!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 04:51 AM

twins

I'm not really sure, but I think the horsepower on your monster was around 80 or so. If thats the case, the new breed of twins has you by at least 30! big difference
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 05:06 AM

Sorry, i got interrupted...my point was that I don't think you'll be disappointed with the power and delivery of the RC51. Twins take a little getting used to, and they may not be for you, but disappointed?...I don't think so...just my opinion. (look for a used one...and take it for a test ride if possible)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 09:03 AM

I rode a Buell Cyclone once but I didn't really like it. The vibration was terrible, and the power was not that impressive. However, I don't really think that the Buell is typical of other twins. The Ducs and Hondas seem to have a strong following. Must be something to them!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

i hear you....

i know the the style is different, and i will try to ride another bike before i make a final choice. i hate having to make this decision cuz like mentioned i would enjoy riding any motorcycle. but cuz some ppl have to worry about finances, i would rather buy something that suits me and is exciting to ride for me.

p.s. its freaking hard to get test ride at shops anymore.. and its not easy to ride somebodys bike..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 09:36 AM

You might want to scout out an Aprilia agency. I know that the company makes some special arrangements for dealers to run a demo fleet. I really enjoyed the standard Mille I demo'd, then got to demo the Futura at Laguna and I was sold!

You might also see if there's a Triumph you can take a test ride on. The triple is SWEET, with bottom-end arm-snapping torque and a high-end rush that rivals the I-4's in it's class. Very good deals can be had on them too. Good build quality, but the finish isn't up to Honda levels. I understand that they don't break much either. Oh, and the sound of a triple howling is wonderful

Good luck in your search.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 12:48 PM

Last good twin I rode ---

---was my 1000cc Vincent HRD Rapide C with a lot of Black Shadow & Lightening parts in it.
This would be back in '53, mind you in those days such a bike in stock form was with 55HP, but mine was closer to 65HP!!!!!
How times have changed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:05 PM

Twins such as the RC are deceivingly fast(feel slow until you check the speedo or realize the turn is already upon you ) They require a different riding style. I actually like the engine braking of the twins which is way more than what the I-4s have. When cruising through the mountains at a reasonable pace you can go for quite some time without using brakes because of the engine braking... it isn't nearly as easy to do with the fours. Sometimes I miss the high revving fours but I started in the middle with a v-4 which is sort of an in between feel.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the RC unless you plan to commute on it. It is one of the highest revving twins and also the most powerful(same as the TLR) twin until you get into the limited production Ducatis. The Monster isn't the bike to base your opinion of twins on. It is a good bike but just not the same as the liquid cooled twins. It has more of a street fighter feel to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode