Zx-9 or 954, help me pick my next bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Zx-9 or 954, help me pick my next bike

Ok let me start off by saying that this is a real question, that will probably influence me on my next bike purchase.Second, i know the basic differences between the 2.
So heres where i run into problems, and i could use some input. So i guess i'll tell you what im going to do with the bike.

I am not buying a bike to ride on the track. It will probably never happen.
Im not concerned with my bike being the fastest around.
Twisties are one of my favorite things to do on a bike.
I do a good bit of long rides, 30-40 minutes.
And now a big one. I want a bike that will pull throttle only wheelies in second gear. 3rd would be good too, but i'd be happy with 2nd.

Well i guess thats it. The honda costs $10,599...While the Kaw costs $9,499. That leaves a grand to play around with. What, if anything, could i do to bring the kaw up in performance to better compare with the 954? Allthough this question is strictly directed toward the bikes in stock condition. As you may or may not have noticed, im leaning slightly toward the kaw...

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:06 PM
UFO

Re: Zx-9 or 954, help me pick my next bike

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
I do a good bit of long rides, 30-40 minutes.
Wha...? 30 minutes a long ride? Try 12 hours.

Anyhoo...Not into the wheelie thing, just into riding far and fast....so can't help you there. Tough choice, both are great bikes. If 30 minutes is your longest ride, comfort has ZERO input into the decision equation. I've had VERY bad luck with my ZX-7 back in the early 90s, swearing off Kawi's forever, so I would go with the 954 personally. But both will suit your needs more than adequately.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:15 PM

Buy the 9. Earlier this year I was torn between the R1 and 9. I mulled over it from Oct to Feb when I bought my 9. The 2 biggest factors for my choice were: 1. I wasn't buying a track bike. 2. I absolutely loved the orange. After riding some of my buds R1's I know that the 9 was the right bike. They're not as popular as the other bikes so dealers will come down on price. I got mine for $8500. As far as making it comparable to the 954, it already is. For those of us lacking Rossi-like skill, how noticeable do you think they are? Hell even the bike rags had similar track times with them. It definitely isn't anywhere as "flickable" but with a little more effort abrupt changes aren't difficult.

If I was looking at for a new Kaw right now, I'd probably wait for fall to see if the ZX10 rumors come true. That'd be the only thing holding me up from buying a 9.

2nd gear wheelies damn sure aren't a problem.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:28 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I have never ridden either, but I have sat on a 954 a few times and it is not very comfortable. I have a friend at work who has one that says after about 15 minutes of riding his ass is killing him. If you go the 954 route I'd look into a new seat right away. Other than that I've heard nothing but good about the bike.

The Kawi on the other hand I know little to nothing about. Good luck on your choice and ride safe!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 04:40 PM

Buy the 9. You can get a better deal, then use the extra cash for gear, mods and/or some track lessons (to learn to ride better...we all need that).

A few guys in the local SB group have 9's and seem a damn sight more comfortable after 3-4 hours of brisk riding. Overall performance will not leave you wanting for more. Great Bike!

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:01 PM

Tahoe.

Now that you mention it, the Futura looks a lot like an F-117

Tell us all about it when you get it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 04:45 AM

I'd go with the Zx9 myself. Just a better all around bike. enough power for anyone, and very streetable. My next bike will probably be one!!!Jimmy G
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 06:03 AM

I faced the same decision and went with the 9. It is much more comfortable and stable (very important attributes on the street). They are both great bikes but the 9 is probably the best open class "street" bike. I ride mine at least 80 miles per weekday on my commute and sometimes 250+ miles per day (all back roads) on weekends. For longer trips I take my Concours. I don't have the skills to exploit the very small handling advantage the Honda has and find it rather lacking in comfort.

The magazines all rant about how much better the other open class bikes are but in the end, lap times and 1/4 mile times, between the 9, the R1 and the 954, are within hundredths.

One thing I've noticed, ZX9Rs tend to be ridden by a more mature crowd (perhaps that says a lot more than any magazine test). Might be a deterrent if you are concerned with image.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I appreciate the replies so far. But where are the opinions from the non-kaw riders? Common everybody.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 07:23 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm, thas a tuff one.... But if i have any suggestions, three letter CBR! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! Here is my 954, love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode