I'm back! And wife says OK! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
f4x

I'm back! And wife says OK!

Hey guys...I don't know if you all remember me but I has several threads on how can I convince my wife to let me get a motorcycle. Well a few months have passed and now I am signed up for my MSF class!!! I can not wait!

Here is my delema...

I can not get the bike I want (YZF600R)...but I can get something else. She likes the SV650, and the Vstar Custom. I have not introduced her to the FZ1 yet...

I need some opinions on which bike I should be looking for. I will be commuting about 20 miles to work and what ever else riding I want to do with my wife. I need to know if I need a larger displacement like the FZ1 or if the SV650 or the vstar 650 will be enough bike for me?
I have heard that the VStar is good for around town, but at freeway speeds I will have a hard time maintaining speed...is this true???
I would like something that will have enough power to do 2up and still be fun.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
f4X

I also posted this in the new rider thread, but figured that the more advice I get the better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 08:37 AM
UFO

Irregardless of all other information, of the three bikes you list... FZ1 would be my choice by a LONG SHOT.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
f4x

Why??? Is it just cause of cc's?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 08:53 AM
UFO

Well, that's part of it. But of the three listed the FZ1 is the best all around bike. VStar...yuck. Will never own a cruiser myself. SV650 is an excellent bike, but it's smallish and only really excels at twisties, not that great for 2up riding.

The FZ1's got the engine, the ergos, decent wind protection, good for passengers. So if you want a bike that you can commute on, tour on, and scratch through the canyons, the FZ1 would be my choice of the three you listed.

You need to really evaluate the use of the bike before making a decision. What other board members think really is pointless.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
f4x

I have been researching the bikes a lot and know a lot about them except for people actual experience riding. The information about the 2up and freeway speeds are what I am looking for....

I like the VStar look, but I think practically the FZ1 is more of what I "need" esp. if I want to ride with the wife!

Thanks for the information...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:32 AM

FZ1 is quite a lot of bike for a beginner. Be careful if you are a beginner and go that route. The SV650 is a lot of fun and far more forgiving. It'll have enough power for two up riding on the highway but won't be as nice an the FZ1 for that sort of thing. The VStar is very underpowered but at least it handles and brakes poorly.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 12:00 PM

FZ1 is simply to powerful a machine for a beginner.

Comparing the 1000cc of the FZ1 with something in the Cruiser end is like trying to compare apples with bannanas.
The FZ1 has a maze of POWER & speed, while something in a Cruiser of 1000cc is an easy rider with low saddle height, good pillion rider position, does not have the rocket acceleration of the FZ1 & simply will not have the max top speed of the FZ1, but will pull so well at lower revs.
So I would say take a look at the Cruiser end ESPECIALLY if you are going to be with a pillion passenger quite often & remember these do not have plastic all over them that breaks so easily.
Rarely with a pillion passenger then look at the SV650 of Suzy.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 12:53 PM

I would not buy a sportbike if my wife were going to ride on the back. I tried it with a ZX-6R and it was horrible. She hated it. It made the bike handle weird. Every time we came to a stop, she slid down onto my seat and smushed my goolies right into the tank. It was a fantastic bike for one... but worthless for two.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 02:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to UndrTkrCd Send a message via Yahoo to UndrTkrCd
Well, personally..

I'd go for the bike that fits you, your abilities, with the characteristics YOU want. Unless your wife plans to be with you on every ride, I'd say to heck with the pillion preferences. Get what YOU want. IMO, while one might like to share the thrill of the ride with another, sportbikes aren't made for cruising. Just think of the riding position of a sportbike, and the skill it takes to keep yourself upright. I wouldn't even want to try to compensate for keeping two of us that way (aside from a pokey, local jaunt to Pizza Hut or whatever). If you wanna cruise, then get a cruiser and put your babe on the back. If you wanna go fast, get a sportbike. Sportbiking is basically a solo project. I wouldn't try to mix the two, unless you know you have an experienced pillion who knows how to act and react to your every move.

Just my...whatever's worth....inflation's getting high, and the last I saw, advice was up to $.06. Good LORD that's a lot of money! LOL

CD
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:40 AM

Whatever you get, just make sure your comfortable with the bike before your wife jumps on the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode