new bars? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

new bars?

hey guys I've been looking for new bars for my bike, heres the issue all I can find are the offroad renthal bars, I'm trying to find a place that has bars instock so I can see them before ordering them, what shops stock bars usually, I tried a harley shop but they only have chrome bars there, could I use handle bars from a regular bike? or are they to weak or just not the right size? thanks guys, also how easy is it to swap the controls and change the grips, I need new ones mine are biodegrating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:45 AM

have you tried salvage yards? local mechanic/bike shops?

www.denniskirk.com

http://www.spiegler.de/gb/More_Produ...andlebars.html

from my limited experience, bars are relativley easy to change if the geometry and placement isn;t off much. Otherwise, might need new brake, clutch lines.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

they look easy, but I don't want to pay $40 for something I've never seen and maynot even wor, there are no bike junk yard here, and I tried a few of the local shops all they have are the ape bars, I'm looking for something sporty.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 08:31 AM

Around Tampa there are a few independant places that do mechanic work, sell parts and sell used bikes. They always have a stock of bars. I don't recall ever seeing any at the dealer. Look in the phone book and call around.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

thanks I'll keep looking in my area but tampa is a road trip from here. does anyone know if normal bike handl bars will work, are they to weak for this, I know they are the same size diameter. any thoughts, I only ask because I have a set from an old bike at my house that would be perfect.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:08 PM

If you are thinking of normal pedal bicycle bars --- forget it as they are to flimbsy.
Any dealer can bring in a decent set of handlebars, you just have to pay some money for them & not something you can purchases for 50 cents as m/c parts are ALWAYS costly.
What you see on the catalogues gives one good info & DO not think of the large diameter bars used on hogs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm not worried about the cost either way it would be about $40, my problem is in order for a dealer to get it in they need money, I'm not paying for a custom piece I can't see, that would be stupid. as far as the bike bars go they are the same thickness of my normal bars thats why I was asking, but perhaps the material is not strong enough.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 07:37 AM

For crying out loud--------

---do not be so darn cheap & untrustworthy. Put some trust in your local m/c dealer, see what is on the catalogues & with his advise order a set of proper bars. They will probably turn out to be ideal, but if not & are actually different then the print on the catalogue I am sure the dealer will return the bars for what should have been sent.
Reminds me of some gun club members that kept ordering in 'used' h/guns & rifles from a mail-order second-hand store & were not receiving what they expected. So (under my advise) they finally asked the local sport shop to bring them in---at the same cost. End of their problems, for they were superior & the rare few that were not up to snuff, were returned by the sport shop for a better ones.
Believe me it is far more tricky to by USED h/guns & rifles then a set of new handlebars---especially here in Cdn!!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

ok first about the guns, I can relate to that, I buy used guns on occasion for cheap, mill the crap out of them and sell them for a nice penny

as far as the bars are concerned I'm not sure what I'm looking for, the dealers around here are less then helpful, we only have crappy places like riva yamaha and powersports, both which say no returns on custom orders such as the bars. I know about what I need but if its a few inches off I'm now stuck. and stop calling me cheap, I'm willing to spend, but I damn sure better be getting what I pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode