how do you guys ride through gusty wind? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

how do you guys ride through gusty wind?

how do you guys ride through gusty wind? where Iam staying for summer is really windy(average is about 15-25mph but sometimes it can get much much severe). When i ride on freeway, wind keep knocking me and that makes riding very unstable...any riding technique tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:26 AM

Loosen your elbows, avoid the death grip, and be ready to counter the direction the wind will blow you into.

You can always pull over and wait it out or not ride at all that day if you have the choice.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 09:49 AM

Smile

You definately need to relax and lower your speed a little while riding in the wind. Have you ever ridden a dirtbike in the mud?
Or driven a small boat (12 feet or less) with a gas outboard on a big lake or out in the bay? You need to just kinda "go with it" to an EXTENT.That's the only 2 things I can compare it with.

Last edited by jimmyjr; 07-14-2002 at 11:36 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 10:26 AM

With really hard and continual side gusts, the best you can do is place as much weight as possible on the downwind peg and lean slightly into the wind. This will keep you on course unless a big sudden gust hits you, in which case if you are riding a newer superlight sport bike you will probably drift over to the next lane anyway.

When I had a Ducati, that bike was very unstable in cross winds and blew all over the road no matter what I did. Part of its problem was the fairing, which had no venting on the sides so it acted like a sail.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 03:05 PM

I've found that in gusty strong winds, bringing UP my speed to around 130-140km/h actually lowers the effect of the gusts. Gyroscopic force increasing from the back tire or something... Just try explaining it to the nice officer though
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 04:50 PM

jimmyjr brought out a good point.

My lst year of riding a m/c was a Harley 45 flat head down one dirt (muddy) block then into & all over the bush & back areas. So one quickly adapts to different terrain & conditions.
Same is so easly done on a street bike when it comes to gusty winds or making it along gravel roads.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips

is it possible for gusty wind to knock down a bike at high speed? i mean did anyone ever heard of such situation? i bought my yzf600 due to its sport touring style...but obviously, it is not "porky" enough for me....may be i should get a goldwing?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 09:57 PM

I ride in heavy, gusty winds all the time. I stay loose and dont fight it when it hits hard. Ive been blown across the entire lane before almost on to the shoulder. Keep the speeds down too.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:00 AM

I've ridden in some pretty high wind in the wet. It's not pleasant. I try and keep relaxed, and ride with my tires a little downwind of centre of my lane so as a gust or lull is less likely to blow me out of my lane.

If you are riding long distance in high wind, make sure you stop fairly often because it is really fatiguing. Also if you don't feel comfortable continuing, stop and take a break, or wait for the wind to die down some.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:41 AM

don't you mean the windward side (upwind) and not the leeward side (downwind)?

stay loose, stay low, don't freak out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode