This sucks.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Angry This sucks....

Well, anyone that has seen my previous threads knows I was curious to find out about wheelies & stoppies on my CBR1100XX, as well as find out what was causing that damned annoying headshake. Well, here is an update:

While still curious about wheelies, I did find out about stoppies and fix the headshake on the bike. This was accomplished by mashing the bike into the passenger side door of a Honda Civic on my ride home yesterday.

The stoppie had to have been nothing less than art in motion, unfortunately the landing and dismount were less than graceful. The Civic turned in front of me when I was going approx. 20mph and there was no time or room to do anything other than wonder what my upcoming hangtime would be. I hit the brakes and felt the a$$ end come up and then BAM!! The next thing I see is sky as I'm laying on my back on the other side of the car wondering WTF just happened. Apparently I got launched over the car and did a flip to land on my back, which was thankfully padded by the huge fleece I had in my backpack. Good thing I didn't have the company laptop on me though.

Luckily there were lots of witnesses who saw it, and it very obviously was not my fault, but it still sucks because my 'Bird is going to be totalled out I'm sure. The frame did not only bend, it actually broke and the front right side was pretty mangled too.

There is always an upside though...I'm sure there is no more headshake that I was experiencing before (ok, technically thats only because it's not driveable...details, details). I also dragged my first peg. Unfortunately it also was sheared off in the process, but again...details details.

Well I managed to walk away from my first get-off, it certainly could have been worse. I'm pissed about it because I'm not sure what will happen as far as replacement or payoff or anything, but there is nothing I can do about it. It's odd though, like a pressure has been lifted off of me now that I have gone down for the first (and hopefully last) time.

Even if I am out of the riding scene for a while, I will definitely keep coming here to learn and participate in this excellent site!!

Ride safe everyone!!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 08:47 AM

Congrats on the stoppie, most people would have froze and not scrubbed off any speed prior to impact. Solid response

Sorry to hear of your trouble, good luck on the settlement(s) and keep us up to date on any happenings.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 08:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i'm sorry this happened to you, but your post is quite simply awesome!!!

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 08:55 AM

Sorry about the spill. Glad you're okay.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Some days are like this.

Angry

You know, I told spicersh that if he didn't like the wedding present I bought him, all he had to do was tell me, not wreck the darn thing!

I'm glad he's okay, because if he wasn't, ya'll would be reading about him bailing me out of jail for finding the knuckleheaded driver of the cage (hello, did you have to floor it to cross stopped traffic?!?), and beating his a$$.

That was probably the scariest telephone call I've ever had, and I am hoping I never get another one like it...

~Katie

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:27 AM
Founder

Re: This sucks....

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
There is always an upside though...I'm sure there is no more headshake that I was experiencing before (ok, technically thats only because it's not driveable...details, details). I also dragged my first peg. Unfortunately it also was sheared off in the process, but again...details details.
ROFLMAO!

Glad your ok bro!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:12 AM

kind of reminds me of my first wreck back in the day. All I have to say is witness phone numbers will save your ASS!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I had a similar thing happen to me about two years ago in my old cage, only I was the at-fault driver. I did the same thing to a van that he did to me. I turned through traffic into their right of way, which is what he did to me. Pretty much no chance of him being able to pin it on me.

One of the guys I work with was ahead of me a little and saw it. He only gave me a 5 on the dismount. I thought that was a little harsh of a score, but maybe he's going to try to be a German Olympics judge....

Thanks for the posts, I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Last edited by spicersh; 07-11-2002 at 11:04 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
i'm sorry this happened to you, but your post is quite simply awesome!!!
He's a verbose little ba$tard.. you should hear him in person!

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
Congrats on the stoppie, most people would have froze and not scrubbed off any speed prior to impact. Solid response

Sorry to hear of your trouble, good luck on the settlement(s) and keep us up to date on any happenings.
Apex speaketh the truth. Glad you're ok. Bummer about the bike; but now you can get a new one I went through about weeks of grieving when my baby got totaled. Just sitting there looking at pictures...weeping... . But now, like an ex-girlfriend, I've got my eye out.

Again, glad a rider made it out of this safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode