Bent frame..not totaled!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Bent frame..not totaled!!!

State farm is fixing my '00 zx9. all new plastic/ forks/ frame.. tank etc. 6700$worth of "fixing".5200$ of that was in parts...I could'nt believe it!! Even the mechanic was stunned. and I had already gone thru a grieving / mourning period too! What a turn-around!! I always thought if the frame is bent it (the bike ) is history. probably have her back home in 4 weeks. This time I told my wife.. while we are at work or not home... the bike stays inside!I'm so happy.. and I'll be riding again soon!!!

Last edited by blackkaw; 07-10-2002 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

hope I don't have to go thru a mourning period when I get my insurance policy renewed!! hope they don't drop me .
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 02:09 PM

I'm glad your happy but I wouldnt want a bike with a bent frame. I wouldn't be able to ride and trust the structure of it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:26 PM

I would honestly be wondering. Like I knew slightly bentfork tubes were straightend out at some m/c shops, but back to normal(?) & having done so much bending of metal & tubes I simply would not chance it.
In one incident where the woman backed up into my legally parked bike, but did not down it I felt the fork tubes were bent. The insurance people felt the minor bend, if there, could be corrected, but I paid for NEW ones.
Seems a few chaps with straightend out fork tubes, after a short while, found the f/forks leaking oil & AGAIN shortly after new fork seals -- all garbaged their bikes then.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

No... I am getting a brand new frame, new forks. tank ,plastics, every thing will be ordered from factory. when I said bent frame not totaled you must have thought I was using the existing (damaged) frame. that is not the case. getting a new frame!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackkaw
when I said bent frame not totaled you must have thought I was using the existing (damaged) frame.
Thats EXACTLY what I thought. That is very odd though. I wonder why they didn't just total it out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 07:41 PM

Simular thing happed to my nephew's ZX9R, except that the repair shop only discovered the frame was bent after all the other repairs were done, it still was covered but it took another 7 weeks of prime riding time to get it fixed. ( you'd think that the bike T-boning a truck would give the mechanics a hint to check the frame........... I think they basically screwwed over the insurance co.)

Anyways, the bike ran perfectly with a new frame, you won't have to worry about that. One thing though, because your bike's frame won't have VIN # , the bike becomes a prime target for scum sucking bastards to steal. That's what happen to his.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 07:59 PM

How can a bike have no VIN? Wouldn't the new frame have it's own VIN?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 08:52 PM

Backkaw: That is SUPER.

Man I thought you were getting the dirty end of the stick, but not so.
Still like one other put it I wonder why they did not call the bike totalled as most do OR are some of the insurance people thinking differently?
Very interests, but still Backkaw those are wonderful words & no wonder you are so hike up.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 08:55 PM

My apology in your handle Blackkaw.
When the bike is ready, you go over it from top to bottom & from front to back & be 100% sure it is like NEW bar what it was like prior to the accident.
Let us know the final outcome, for this IS different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode