Spinning bike on side stand!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Spinning bike on side stand!!!

WOW

This weekend i rode with a group of guys i really didnt know,.....well n e ways,.....one of the guys when we came to park pulled head into his parking spot and then got off of his bike lifted it so the only thing that was supporting it was the side stand and spun it arround so it was not facing forward any more,.......he claims it is easier then backing it in,...........

I was wondering what everyone else feels about this practice. Personally i would be afrain oof even trying this,............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Founder

I know people that do it. But I would never do it myself. I'm not lazy enough to take a chance on dumping my bike.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:41 AM

Pretty neat ain't it ! I saw a guy we were riding with do that in his driveway. I think he used a clockwise rotation of the bike to keep the stand from folding up.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:53 AM

I've done it because I had seen it done like you, but I do agree with Robert that a person would feel pretty stupid if they dropped their bike.... or better yet if you tweeked the kickstand somehow and had to hold your bike for the rest of the day at every stop! lol!

I dont think it would be even worth trying once with a aluminum kickstand like on junk Ducatis
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
I know people that do it. But I would never do it myself. I'm not lazy enough to take a chance on dumping my bike.

I've done it, so I guess that means I'm lazy

Thanks Robert

Travis
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 01:22 PM

I can do it with my medium sized bikes, but the ST1100 is a handful.

When we put away the training bikes in our 40' shipping container, we push them in, lower the sidestand and spin them so that they are just past perpendicular with the sides. This allows us to store 15 bikes and other supplies. When we get them out, we just cut left and push and out they come. We can even leave an aisle and get one bike out from in back if we turn them so that they're about 20 degrees past perpendicular. Of course, this is with 125's and 250's.

As a rule, I just back in to a parking place on my own bikes.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 01:58 PM

I think its a real bad idea. One of the things im most sour about with my bike is the previous owner used to do that( I know cuz he did it in front of me when I was loading it on the truck to take it home ) and the edges around the bottom part of the stand are all bent up almost perpendicular. Bike lost a little stability, not too much tho. The most annoying part is since its lost surface area the stand is much more likely to sink into hot asphalt or any other soft surface you park on. Sometimes when I stop places with my buddies they can all go off while I'm still at the bikes trying to get a crushed soda can to put underneath. Now I just carry a small piece of wood, still annoying tho since F2's don't have any storage space.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:17 PM

I've never seen that. I worry I'd drop mine. To me it's just not that difficult to back into a space.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Because I park my bike in the basement and I don't have much room to turn it around, I do it all the time. I'm small (5'6" - 135lbs) and I have never had a moment where I thought I was going to loose it.

Some people say that it's bad for the stand but I have had no such expirience.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 05:11 PM

i used to do it on my 98 gixxer 750,

from my own experience, it can messed up the stand, especiialy if you do something in excess. It also creates more play between the two pieces of metal where the kickstand resides thus making your bike lean farther over when the stand is down.

you mess it up more while learning how to hold your bike so you can spin it around, after learning you put less stress on it so its not as bad... my freind does it on 929 with out any real problems, and i knew a little guy like 5ft 5in spin a ducati 998 on that aluminum..

if anyone should not do this, its him wit his exhorbitantly priced paint job..
he did it well tho,

at any rate, im with robert, im not lazy to back it up, it takes two seconds to curve this way and back it in while still on it. ..

*looking at my post* man i explain things too much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode