ticket for no helmet - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

ticket for no helmet

what kind of punishment should one expect to recieve for wearing a non DOT approved helmet, or no helmet at all for that matter in a state with helmet laws? thanks
dash

also, what if someone was caught with a DOT sticker on the back of a non DOT approved helmet so to look as if it were approved by the DOT. would a cop know whether it was supposed to go on that helmet or not? thanks

Last edited by dash; 07-08-2002 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Founder

To be honest, it's VERY easy for a helmet to recieve a "DOT" certification. Hell, even cheap "half" lid helmets have "DOT" certifications.

I prefer to look for helmets with a "SNELL" certification as it's a much hard certification to get.

Meaning: Safer helmet.
(IMHO)

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 11:58 AM

"what kind of punishment should one expect to recieve for wearing a non DOT approved helmet, or no helmet at all for that matter"

Capitol punishment maybe..

I am not sure if it raises their insurance, but it should. I mean if insurance has to cover injurys, and its a law to wear a helmet and they dont it would only be fair for them to be a higher risk to insure.

1997 Yamaha YZF600R

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

ok, ill make it simpler. what would law enforcement do to me if i was wearing a catchers helmet backwards with straps with a DOT sticker on the back!? just an example of course.
dash
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Founder

I (personally) think your bike should be impounded for a week. I know people will say just take the riders license away, but we all know that people will ride without a license.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dash
ok, ill make it simpler. what would law enforcement do to me if i was wearing a catchers helmet backwards with straps with a DOT sticker on the back!? just an example of course.
dash

Laugh......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:00 PM

Other than the obvious dumb-ass quotient for risking more than your life for such a really, really stupid act...

Most Law Enforcement Officers don't know about DOT or SNELL or any other helmet certification...and dont' care. The general rule of thumb is, it is 'looks like" a motorcycle helmet, you are good to go and you probably won't even get stopped. Even the most oblivious LEO knows that a construction hard-hat isn't a legal helmet, but the vast majority don't know that a lot of the novelty 'helmets" aren't legal either.

So, catchers helmet on backwards? Besides looking like a bucktoothed, backwoods goob, you will probably also get the attention of every LEO in the neighborhood...and You can wear your DOT sticker on your forehead as you sign your citation.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

ok ok, i bought the damn thing from this old guy who said he used to wear it on his bike when there were no laws or something like that. it may not even be a catchers helmet but it looks similar. im not too familiar with the half helmet thingies, but anyway theres no sticker on it.

LEO=law enforcement officer ????????
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

also

zz i just noticed youre from gadsden alabama. friends and i go climbing in sandrock right up the road near leesburg. we work with a mobile rock climbing wall in a week or few weeks in gadsden for some boat races or something. stop by if close by. check out us bucktooth georgians, later
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 02:54 PM

Re: also

Quote:
Originally posted by dash
zz i just noticed youre from gadsden alabama. friends and i go climbing in sandrock right up the road near leesburg. we work with a mobile rock climbing wall in a week or few weeks in gadsden for some boat races or something. stop by if close by. check out us bucktooth georgians, later
Yeah...there is a drag-boat meet here in a few weeks and I will be there...I'll find the wall and ask for dash

...and the bucktoothed wasn't aimed at Georgians in particular...I date a Georgian beauty, and Alabama has MORE than its share of bucktoothed fools...trust me!!! I am actually an import from Florida.

I've eyed what I suspect are the rocks you go to up towards Leesburg many times...parallel to Hwy 411? They look pretty interesting from afar...

Also, 'LEO' is Law Enforcement Officer...

Later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode