Start off with cheap helmet? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Start off with cheap helmet?

Though my heart was set on a Arai or Shoei when I get my first bike, my friend recommended I get a cheaper helmet (like 100 bucks) when I first start off cuz I'll prolly crash or something when I first ride. As we all kno, we shouldn't reuse a helmet even after a relatively small accident and I dont want 400 bucks to go down the drain after using a helmet for only a month or two. So does getting a cheap helmet sound like a good idea to go w/ my first bike?

Oh yea, just wanted to confirm...you shouldn't buy helmets used/preown right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 08:16 PM

So if you know you're going to crash, why wouldn't you want the best protection for your head so you can continue to ride afterwards?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:12 PM

I think your head is worth more than $100. However, the main differences between a $250 plain solid Shoei with DOT and Snell approvals and a $500 high-end Shoei or $500-700 (wowser) Arai are mainly weght, graphics, ventillation, and removable pads. How about starting with something in nice, basic white (goes with any bike) and if you don't crash in it, you can upgrade later and keep the old one for a spare or passenger?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:43 PM

Cheap helmet

I'm with RayO on this one... don't skimp on the lid! That being said, however, you don't necesarily have to have the latest, greatest repli-racer lid, either. See if you dealer has any of LAST YEAR'S models of Shoei, Arai, Suomy, AGV, etc. left in stock. I picked up a previous model year Arai Quantum for $150 under list that way! Also, you might take a look at HJC-- not the lightest or best ventilated, but they ARE both DOT and Snell approved, and solid colored models can usually be found in the $200 range. Best of luck!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I thought all full-faced helmets were snell and DOT approved...i guess not.

So what's the cheapest snell and DOT approved helmet?

Also, have there been any tests or anything that prove one helmet company or type is better than another?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:01 AM

I too am a new rider, and since I don't know a single person that rides, I wasnt really sure about getting my first helmet. Unfortunatly finding a helmet in the middle of the "cornbelt" of Missouri is a problem.

I ended up getting a Vega multi color (red/black/white/silver). It is Snell 2000 and DOT approved, and has 4 vents....chin, one on each cheek, and a top one. I payed $129.99 for it.

But....now that I have ridden for a while, I realize why it was so cheap. The helmet is LOUD on the highway...really at anything over 50 mph, its too loud. Also, the visor doesnt seal tight at all. It has never blown open or anything like that, it just doesnt seal the air out very well, there is a draft by my right eye that is irritating but I usually wear sunglasses so it doesnt bother me.

If you just want a cheap helmet and are willing to wear ear plugs, the Vega does pass the Snell test, so it is safe.

Now that I have this helmet, I plan to upgrade to a much better Aria helmet in the future, keeping this one for my passenger or as a backup.

One last note. If the helmet is Snell approved, and it fits right, it will protect you. Most of the money is for comfort and looks when you get up to the $400+ helmets. But....if you ride a lot it is money well spent, since being comfortable allows you to focus better on riding, rather than a splitting headache.

Later,
Sheridan

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 05:37 PM

I have an HJC CL-12. It's DOT and SNELL rated and very comfortable. I paid $179.99 for it. The only drawback I've found with it is the noise. It is pretty loud.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 08:13 PM

The Shoei helmets like the RF-900 are the quietest. Be sure to get one that fits snug. For example if a small size hurts when you pull it off, then get a medium. Your cheeks should squish out a little when the fit is correct.

The Shoei RF-900 is about $250 - $300 at our local shops. You could always ask for a discount or even try to find last years model (RF-800) to save some money.

Like the others said, the HJC is very noisy. So spend the extra few dollars and get a Shoei.

Andy
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 05:47 AM

Like the old saying goes If Ya Got a Hundred dollar headwear a Hundred dollar helmet Never buy a helmet Used or painted. You don't know whats happend to it one way or the other
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 12:54 PM

Buying a mid-price helmet as a lst helmet is a good move.

TRUE it is not up to snuff of the more costly helmets (protection is often very good), but in those few weeks one will realize if they have a helmet to LARGE (most common) or to small & it might be pressure on the front & back of the scull or at the sides. Also one gets to know the pros & cones about different makes.
THEN the better helmet can be purchased & the buyer has a much better idea of what is a proper fit.
The idea of forking out top money for the best & finding it to large/small is NOT good--it is stupid to have the best on the market only size to large/small.
Hey ALL helmets are noisy once one gets up to 50 to 60 mph so carry & use ear plugs & use them on any decent runs or even short grunts of 20 plus miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode