No More "Token Harley Boy" - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

No More "Token Harley Boy"

Well,
Tomorrow morning I'm taking out the Road King for my last ride. A fellow called me from Sacramento and has bought the bike, so I'm delivering it in the morning. At least I'll enjoy a nice couple hour ride through the mountains.

Now I have to actually decide on a new bike!

I'll be at Laguna, looking around for a deal, although I'm leaning pretty heavily towards an Aprilia RSV R. I found a pretty good deal on a year-old one with under 1,000 miles, for a bunch less $$$ than a new one. Heli-bars and I'll be a happy lad.

So no more "token Harley Boy"

Look forward to seeing a bunch of you at Laguna next week!

Cheers,
Kev

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 08:28 PM
Founder

Thumbs up

Kev,

W00! H00!

Congrats on the new bike bro!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 11:41 PM

Congrats and sorry for the loss

I also sold my harely that I had for 6 years. I bought a 748 ducati (yellow). However the maintenance on the italian bikes is too much - duc every 6000 miles need to spend 450 + for scheduled maintenance. I have since traded that in on a
2000 R-1 and let me tell you there is a huge difference in maintenance, performance, and handling. My friend that I ride with also has a 2000 748 Ducati and is trading it in tomarrow for a 2002 R-1.. He rode mine twice and fell in love. Look carefully at the maintenance schedule for the aprilia. The maintenance on an R-1 is at 24-26 thousand miles and cost around under 200. I recommend looking at the yamaha's and ride both. I was also looking at buying an aprilia, but the maintenance is too much. I want to ride not have the bike in the shop. If you look at some of the forums - you will see that the yamaha R-1 is a very well built bike with little or no maintenance.
Jim out

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 03:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i didn't really see the aprilia as maintenance intensive. fun bike to ride. i don't like the slipper clutch, but my mille-r owning friend says it's easy to get used to. i found the bike a real joy to ride. surprisingly comfortable, well manored in the city. great on the backroads, pick a gear and you can ride in it all day.

i would miss the roadking if i were in your shoes. but a new bike is new experience.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
i would miss the roadking if i were in your shoes.
Everything has a life. While the road king was a comfortable cruise/touring bike, the handling shortcomings were a constant reminder. The Harley was also somewhat akin to wearing a Raider's jacket (sorry raiders fans) but it projects an attitude that isn't me. I don't need a harley to show people I'm a badass (or wannabe) and I'm not suffering from some mid-life crisis either.

If I ever get another Harley, it will likely be an antique, like a Flathead or Knuckle that I can tool around town on at a nice sedate pace. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to light, quick-handling, responsive machines for these lovely roads around here.

Happy trails.
Kev

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:32 AM
elo

Re: Congrats and sorry for the loss

Quote:
Originally posted by Jims748Duc
I also sold my harely that I had for 6 years. I bought a 748 ducati (yellow). However the maintenance on the italian bikes is too much - duc every 6000 miles need to spend 450 + for scheduled maintenance... blah blah blah
Aprilias and Ducatis do not have the same maintenance requirements.

Tahoe, congratulations! Now I know where to look for you this weekend: camped in the Aprilia tent!

Last edited by elo; 07-09-2002 at 08:36 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 12:49 PM

Maintenance for aprilia mille

I don't want you to get the wrong impression - I like ducati's and aprilia's - I just think that a consideration should be the maintenance schedule. I called a local dealer and he said for an aprilia mille, it's first valve adjustment is at 9600 miles which is a lot better than a ducati - every 6000. The engine on the aprilia is a rotax which is a really good engine. Anyway whatever bike you decide on is one of personal preference and I am sure that you will be really happy with whatever choice.
Jim out
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:21 PM

Congrats Tahoe, I had a Harley and sold it and bought a 929rr.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 10:51 PM

Re: Maintenance for aprilia mille

Quote:
Originally posted by Jims748Duc
I don't want you to get the wrong impression - I like ducati's and aprilia's - I just think that a consideration should be the maintenance schedule. I called a local dealer and he said for an aprilia mille, it's first valve adjustment is at 9600 miles which is a lot better than a ducati - every 6000. The engine on the aprilia is a rotax which is a really good engine. Anyway whatever bike you decide on is one of personal preference and I am sure that you will be really happy with whatever choice.
Jim out
the other important distinction is that the Aprilia does not have fancy desmo valves, so you do not need to be at an Aprilia dealership to get them adjusted, just a competend mechanic.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Bought my new bike

At Laguna Seca this weekend, I was able to demo the fleet of Aprilias. While I had located a superb deal on a slightly used RSV-R, I found the ergos and lack of 2-up ability to be too much. I also have concerns about my driving record with a machine like that.

After doing the 20 mile loop on the Futura, Falco and Mille, I found the Futura to have the all-around ticket for fun. An ash-gray version will be in my garage in a couple weeks.

After 4 years of 750 pounds with 75 HP, a 500 LBS 100+ HP bike with Brembos and top flight suspenders is going to be a real pleasure!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode