Idling on side stand - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Idling on side stand

I was told that letting a bike idle too long while on the side stand can damage the motor. The reason given was the oil will not reach the right cylinder as much as if it was standing straight up. Is there any truth to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:47 AM

That's the first I've ever herd anything like that. I'm guessing it's BS, but I could be wrong. (Although I doubt it)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:58 AM

I reckon it might be if you leave your bike ticking over at a standstill for a long time it will overheat without the air rushing through your radiator to keep things cool. Maybe if your oil becomes so thin when hot it will not lubricate properly. All Just guesing no facts

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:19 AM

I used to own a '95 Virago in which the oil light would come on sometimes if you left it idiling on the side stand. I didn't have that bike very long and never looked any deeper into it.

Other than that though, I have never really heard anything about it hurting the engine.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Idling on side stand

Quote:
Originally posted by bird
I was told that letting a bike idle too long while on the side stand can damage the motor. The reason given was the oil will not reach the right cylinder as much as if it was standing straight up. Is there any truth to this?
As long as your "oil light" doesn't come on, all cylinders are getting the same amount of oil. Assuming you are talking about a modern, water cooled bike with a working cooling fan.

The real question is "why would you want to leave it running while on the kick stand to begin with?" Other than leaving your bike to shut your garage door, I don't see any sense in doing this.

Are you talking about leaving it on the kickstand to warm up the bike when it is cold? If so, then OK, but not for more than a few minutes as long the oil light is not on and the kickstand is not srping loaded like on most Ducatis.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 01:27 PM

Besides it is asking for trouble to LEAVE the bike on a prop stand in neutral ESPECIALLY WHILE RUNNING. Anything can happen like it might roll foward & hit the pavement or someone might accidently hit the gear change lever & the bike will lung forward.
Still who would leave a bike for any length of time ticking over like that. Think of the bike as being in need of some air to cool off through the rad?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Re: Idling on side stand

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079
and the kickstand is not srping loaded like on most Ducatis.

I thought that all ducatis would not run if they are on the kickstand.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 02:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Idling on side stand

Quote:
Originally posted by naefearjustbeer

I thought that all ducatis would not run if they are on the kickstand.
I can't really remember, now that I think about it, but I think that is how they got around the "kickstand shut-off switch" requirement by having the kick stand come up when the bike is brought to the upright position.

Someone that presently owns a 900SS will have to correct me if I am wrong.

It really bugs me that I can't remember............
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 04:04 PM

The newer Ducatis won't Idle with the sidestand down, but the older ones with the "suisidestand" will,

and I have not heard of any oiling problems with leaving a bike on the kickstand, if you are warming it up there should be no concern with airflow since you want it to warm up,

I don't think it is a good idea though to leave the bike unatended while runing,
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Gustl
The newer Ducatis won't Idle with the sidestand down, but the older ones with the "suisidestand" will,

and I have not heard of any oiling problems with leaving a bike on the kickstand, if you are warming it up there should be no concern with airflow since you want it to warm up,

I don't think it is a good idea though to leave the bike unatended while runing,
suisidestand=LOL. I have scars on my left ankle to remind me of that. Yeah, I think my '95 900SS SP would idle with the stand down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode