AArrghhhh!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

AArrghhhh!!!

OK so I was in a hurry at the pump and did not notice the far left handle was diesel... I thought I was grabbin 87 oct. So after pumpin in 1.2 gals of the crud, I stopped it... cussed a little...payed up, and topped off with another 1.4 gals of 93 oct to try and even it out. I have ridden about 13-15 miles since, and would like some advice on what to do. Can I just ride it out and never do it again?
Also if you've done this please let me know so I can tell who has experienced this and who is just telling me their opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:45 PM

Re: AArrghhhh!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by YZF600R Guy
OK so I was in a hurry at the pump and did not notice the far left handle was diesel... I thought I was grabbin 87 oct. So after pumpin in 1.2 gals of the crud, I stopped it... cussed a little...payed up, and topped off with another 1.4 gals of 93 oct to try and even it out. I have ridden about 13-15 miles since, and would like some advice on what to do. Can I just ride it out and never do it again?
Also if you've done this please let me know so I can tell who has experienced this and who is just telling me their opinion.

Personally I'd go home tonight and tear the bike apart...

Seriously I would at least drain your tank..

Other suggestions?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:50 PM

I would definately drain your tank.

You should also change your spark plugs and fuel filter, Oh yea, and also drain your fuel bowls.

Oh, and no I've never done it. Being a Chemical engineer, I understand the difference between the different fuels and consider it rather important to put the correct fuel in my vehicles. Therefore, I pay close attention at the fuel pump. Fueling a vehicle, particularly a motorcycle where there is no check vavle, is an extremely dangerous proposition. I am constantly surprised that more people aren't killed at the gas pump.

Last edited by Kevlar7R; 07-02-2002 at 12:55 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 01:05 PM

aarrghhhh!!!

Good god! If thats all you did ,,fuggettabout it. I might not run wide open for a long time on that tank of gas,, just ride it.
But not while there is a full moon. It will damage the reeboscrat.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 01:29 PM

Follow the guidlines of Kevlar:

When working for a firm one chap filled the 1/2 truck full of the same fuel. I told him to dump it & admit the error, but no way & the truck went around for 2 days looking like 'ell then the engine packed in & mechanics wanted to know why as they had just put in a rebuilt engine 3 weeks prior.
So up to you & true you have more of the true fuel in, but up to you if you want to chance it. Besides a loss of a tank load of mixed up fuel is FAR less then a new power-plant!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:07 PM

DUMP THE FUEL NOW!

Do not run the engine with the fuel in that tank! empty the gas tank, drain the float bowls, change your fuel filter, and check your fuel pump. Check the condition of your plugs while you are at it.

Running diesel in your motorcycle engine WILL destroy it. Sportbike engines have such a high compression that the diesel will detonate before the peak compression.... i.e. engine knocking worse then you've ever known, not to mention the heat!!

BAD!! VERY BAD!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 07:01 PM

Flush everthing. Filter; tank; oil; etc. I'm not sure what damage this could do, but I agree with the premature detonation problem someone else spoke of.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:32 AM

I'm gonna have to go along with the crowd on this one (god, did I say that?) Drain and Flush!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

These guys are exactly right, the deisel will detonate. This is bad becuase the exposion will push the piston down before it travels the rest of the way through it's compression stroke. Bad things happen as a result, such as broken pistons, rods. It's general motor death.

Also, you shouldn't be running 87 octance either. They are supposed to run on high octane as stated earlier, these are high compression motors (12:1 or so).

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

OK I drained it, and flushed it and filled with 93, took her for a spin and seems fine. I did not change the plugs, but I am coming up on a service, do I will have em do it then. Thanks to all, except for the prick.. he knows who he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode