Opinion Question - sure it's been ask before - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Opinion Question - sure it's been ask before

What is about the best OVERALL bike as far as power, weight, and balance for te newbie rider? I'm hearing conflicting things from diferent people, so suggestions from people that don't have anything to gain finacially from the answers would be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:07 PM

Re: Opinion Question - sure it's been ask before

Quote:
Originally posted by godoveryou
What is about the best OVERALL bike as far as power, weight, and balance for te newbie rider? I'm hearing conflicting things from diferent people, so suggestions from people that don't have anything to gain finacially from the answers would be very helpful.
You'll hear conflicting things because people are different. I'm not really sure but I doubt anyone here is gonna really make a financial gain based upon what kind of bike you get, much less by making suggestions. What kind of riding do you want to do?

Here are some of my suggestions:
sv-650
gs500
older katana
older cbr 600
older yzf600r
ninja 250
ninja 500

You're just gonna have to go look and sit on some to decide what you want. Good luck!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Theres a saying in real estate.... Every Seller is a story teller.... meaning if they have something to sell you, they are probably going to lie about something.... eve if it's jst an exhuast... yada yada.

The type of riding I will initially be doing is just to get over fear... after that though I'd be interested in a little cruising, some good high speed runs, and most importantly, carrying a pasanger on the back, which would seemingly dictate a bike with more torque. If you think that souns like an odd thing to consider - it is, but I have my reasons...

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:22 PM

If I was in your place and had to carry a passenger I would get this:

I'd still think really really hard about getting a beater before I got it though.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:24 PM

SV650
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
SV650
Yep. I like the 'S' a little better though.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 01:01 PM
elo

Talking

I think the SV650's (naked or half faired) are some of the best bikes available, either for beginners, re-entry or for someone who wants a fun bike that doesn't require a lot of work.

My only concern would be that I don't think it's the greatest for carrying two people, though I also don't think a new rider should be carrying passengers. I actually can't think of a single "beginner" bike that I consider good for passengers so take that for what it's worth.

Check out www.svrider.com if you like the sounds of this bike, you'll get an overload on info from them.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Well I wasn't going to be carrying any passangers imediately... I don' even think its legal to do so in Ohio while you have your temps. I mean, yeah, that would really impress a girl to have 180lbs of me, with 450lbs of bike on top of me, both on top of her, as her face gets smeared into the pavement. Hey... now that I think about it, it might be an improvement for some women

Now is the Red bike an SV, an S, or an SVS (if there is any such thing?) The blue bike is ugly IMHO - the exposed exhuast pipe reminds me of 70's and 80's Honda cruisers, and those are some bike I just cringe when I look at. When did they begin producing these bikes (early 90's - justa few months ago??)

Hey, thanks for putting up wih my newbie questions.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:10 PM

The red bike is a Katana 750 by Suzuki.

I just bought a Suzuki GS 500 as my first bike and I love it. Comfortable riding position and decent power for learning. I don't know about a passenger, though. I haven't carried one yet.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by godoveryou

Now is the Red bike an SV, an S, or an SVS (if there is any such thing?) The blue bike is ugly IMHO - the exposed exhuast pipe reminds me of 70's and 80's Honda cruisers, and those are some bike I just cringe when I look at. When did they begin producing these bikes (early 90's - justa few months ago??)
Geez.... Katanaphiles all over are pissing themselves with glee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode