Peg grinding...???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Question Peg grinding...????

...I dont race, but where I live there are some kik azz back roads w/ some madd twisties....Recently, I have found myself feeling more comfy on my bike & leanig fairly far into some curves.. Im not to draggin my dayumm knee or anything, but the other day, I did drag my foot so to speak...

Excuse my ignorance, but answer me this ?? I know my pegs are spring loaded, but if I were too lean inot a curve & touch my peg, I have this fear that once the peg grinds into the street it will spin me out so to speak. I know they are spring loaded but is there a chance this could happen or am i just paranoid>???

Not to say on a daily ride, im having this problem or am trying to look like a racer on the street, but just once in a while when we go out for a good rip, on some nice back roads...

So in essence is this ok to grind a peg, w/out having to worry about being spun out, or like i said am i just paraniod...??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:29 AM
Founder

Grinding a peg can pick up your rear end and cause you to loose traction.

That's why us fast guys (ok... and some of us slow guys ) have rear sets.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Robert,

Thanxx for the input, ill keep that in mind when out there...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 09:45 AM

If I were you I'd do 2 things:

First and Foremost, do not make it a gola to drag anything. I know ppl. who try to drag things because they think it means they are good riders. Don't do that, it's how you end up hurt.

Secondly, remove the peg-feelers to reduce the risk of digging in and lifting the rear wheel.

The only time I've ever scraped a peg was when I was not trying. Just ride to ride and don't try to scrape stuff, you'll have more fun, 'cause wrecking sux!

RIDE SAFE!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 10:13 AM

Re: Peg grinding...????

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruff-rida
So in essence is this ok to grind a peg, w/out having to worry about being spun out, or like i said am i just paraniod...??
I've dragged pegs at one time or other on every bike I've ever owned, and the worst effect has been to startle the rider. They've never unloaded the tires. I regard a dragging peg as the motorcycle's way of telling me to cool it, because next time it could be something solid, which will unload the tires and potentially cause a crash.

For that reason, I don't like rearsets or even removing feelers from the stock pegs. Absent other modifications that increase maximum lean angle, changing the pegs eliminates a relatively benevolent warning that max lean angle is approaching. If the first sign the rider gets is dragging the exhaust or fairing or sidestand, a crash is much more likely.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Cbr brutha,,

I hear ya, but just for the record, i was not trying to drag any ting...It just happened....But thanxx to all for your replies...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:38 PM

dragging a peg makes you cool!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 07:38 PM

I wouldn't worry about dragging, Like Dan said, the biggest effect is it scares you. Just stay relaxed, and have fun. The only other thing I would say is, If and when it does happen, pay attention. Its good to know where that peg is. Once you know exactly when your peg drags (in terms of lean angle) you can throw the bike over to exactly that point. The only time its gonna cause you problems is if you don't know where that peg grinds, and throw it over to a lean angle much greater then peg grinding angle. There is a big difference between dragging a peg, and slamming a peg into the asphalt. The first is fun, the second will probably upset the bike.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Sweet. thanxx
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CBR Brutha
If I were you I'd do 2 things:

The only time I've ever scraped a peg was when I was not trying. Just ride to ride and don't try to scrape stuff, you'll have more fun, 'cause wrecking sux!

RIDE SAFE!
I agree. The only time I've scraped stuff was my left boot (skeert me good), but this was fixed by someone on this site suggesting moving my feet back when leaning (ie; put the peg on the ball of your foot). AND, a peg when I lowsided. I don't like draggin stuff because it usually means I'm going too fast for the street.

Someone here said they ride about 60% ( or something like that) on the street and 100% on the track. I think this is a good philosophy to ride by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode