Strategy If Going Down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Strategy If Going Down

Obviously there are a million ways you can go down. However, has anyone thought about a strategy of if you know you are going to go down you force a low side and manipulate your leg (the one that could be on the ground under the bike) so the bike takes most of the road abrasion? Even if you can not ride the upside of the bike the whole slide maybe at least most of it to limit road rash. I took the course but I was just wondering if there are any strategies to save yourself when you are going down. Other strategies are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:57 PM
Founder

I've always felt that if you have enough control to force a lowside then you have enough control not to crash in the first place.

But if I am down I try my best to get the hell away from the bike. No way would I try and "ride" on top of it during a slide. Your body will stop a lot faster during a slide than your bike will.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 06:31 PM

Lightbulb

See the problem with a get-off is hitting objects AFTER you are sliding across this wonderful planet. My advice (Ive wrecked a couple of times ) get to your back and spread your arms and legs out. A back protector will help, if your wearing one, at this time. Tumbling is the same as hitting trees, and curbs, and guardrails, and.. you get the point. It has saved me a fracture or two. my .02$

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 06:48 PM

I just usally start by kissing her ear and work my way down. he he he Just couldn't resist.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:35 PM

In all honesty a spill comes on so fast that one does not have the time to think of strategy!!!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

In this case it's safe to say, don't use your head!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 10:59 PM

All this talk about going down and which leg to use, which side to be on...doesnt any body have sex laying down anymore?

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:47 PM

Hi Andre,

You ask a good question. About 20 years ago I low-sided my Yamaha RD-350 at about 50 MPH. I can still remember how everything went in slow motion. It was a left hand turn and I was leaning pretty hard. The bike had a bald rear tire and it just started going lower and lower. When I realized I was going down, it just came natural to move my leg out of the way and I just rode on top of the bike until it stopped.

I use the knee out technique so my leg is already pretty much far away from the bike.

Andy
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
I've always felt that if you have enough control to force a lowside then you have enough control not to crash in the first place.

I had thought about this too....then I low sided my bike about 3 wks ago. long left sweeper, about 60-70mph; car came a little too far across the center line thus making me alter my line a bit. but enough to know i wasn't going to complete the turn. i remembered how people posting said "not to panic" and i didn't. I didn't stand the bike up and try to brake (i would have ended up 180 ft down a reveen w/ my bike.) I leaned 'er over hard, and she would've made it if i had about another ft of pavement.

anyway, I knew I was going down and I was leaned way over then the front tire washed out. I always said if i went down i would try to get to my back, but not this time. I don't know if you have to have experience wrecking , but i hit the turf hard and rolled. only suffered a bruised rib, and two broken bones in my left hand. if there is a way to "control" a crash, I certainly didn't apply it when i wrecked.

bottom line: I realize that this crash was probably a bit of rider error, so hopefully i'll learn from it and not let it happen again. my bike is totaled, but i hope to get a new bike soon. hopefully a nice ducati. BTW, has anyone else experienced a sadness when your first sportbike was totaled? I am still sad to see pictures of her. I loved that bike; so much fun on it; so green and purty. oh well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:46 PM

I been riding for around 1 whole years now haha

A few months ago me and a few friends went riding to Lake Berryessa. Nice day warm and sunny. But it just started off bad, should have seen the signs haha.
1. Filled my tank to much, so it kept dying cuz there was no vacuum.
2.My friend got a ticket entering the twisties.

Anyways we were riding and it was ok after the first few incidents. I was following a friend (he was novice). So I decided to pass him and ride with the faster people. Everything was going good until I decided to slow down for my friend, but decided it was not a good place to stop. so I rolled on and tried to catch the faster people.

Then it happened. Long sweeping left turn. I panicked, I felt the pegs scrap a little so it scared me. And I took my eyes off the road (remember to look into the turn!!) and brought her up from the lean angle. Umm the turn continued and I ended up trying to brake in gravel. I ended up lowsiding bike ended up in a Raveen 15 ft down. I ended up sliding and little tumbling down the raveen about half way. My GIRLFRIEND was ok. Ohh I forgot to mention her. But the only thought I had was trying to slow her slid (thank god for riding jacket I had bought her for valentines). She came out with a bad scraped jacket and a couple of bruises. (wear them leathers, they freakin work)

I ended up with Rash on my left forearm (had a broken zipper on the sleeve and the sleeve rolled up.) Rest of the jacket was good shape.

But my kawai zx6 is started right back up 2 days later when I picked her up from the tow yard! What a tough girl!!

Last edited by therok229; 07-01-2002 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode