When in the cage... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

When in the cage...

...you are a cager. Is this not true? I was thinking about this the other day on my hour long commute to work.

You consider yourself a motorcyclist all the time. And by being such you know how to drive to accomodate for motorcycles on the road when driving your car. But when your in your car does it ever dawn on you that you are being put into the "cager" stereotype even though your technically not a "cager"? Because that guy coming up behind you on his bike sees you not as a fellow rider but as another reason for caution.

Whaddya think?

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 12:48 PM

Cager decals..

What I like most is the H/D decals riding around on the Toyotas and Hondas. I guess those are all american made anyhow. We have one bumper sticker that says "WATCH OUT; Motorcyles are everywhere."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Yea ive seen the "Look twice, save a life, motorcycles are everywhere" bumper stickers. I guess thats the only way to identify your self as a rider.... hmmm..... the ligh bulbs are coming on

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:18 PM

I don't really worry about being labeled a danger when I'm in my car because... I am. Even if I'm watching out for motorcycles I've still got all the distractions and blind spots that come with a car, and I am in a huge chunk of steel.

As soon as you step in a car, you are a cager. The only difference is that we're more likely to notice motorcycles when we're in our cars, or at least we notice the drool and jelousy we feel when they go by.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

you make many a good points...

and yea the drooling has become a problem
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:43 PM

ya i feel about the same way. although soem of the bikers look at ya kinda weird when you wave at them from your company van. just a reflex now i guess........PHATKIDWIT1EYE CAGER VAN BOY BY DAY MOTORCYCLE RIDING RACER X BY NIGHT!!!!!!!

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:45 PM

When I met my wife she had no real experience of motorcyclists and the dangers associated with them and things that car drivers do. Like throwing fag ends out of the window or operating the window washers Pulling out at Junctions etc. I mentioned this type of thing to her about how would you like to get your vision all blurred when somebody sprays water and additives all over you field of view when you dont have wipers to clear them off or throw hot butts at you with the risk of them going in your visor type thing .
Now she is a much more considerate driver to 2 wheeled vehicles than before not because she was deliberately doing things wrong before but because if you have never been on 2 wheels before you do not realise the additional hazards that we face day in day out on our travels . I like to think when I am in my car that I give bikers every chance I can to be safer on the road. But yes as already mentioned you have blind spots in a car, a stereo blaring and your passengers distracting you so there is no way that you can be as focused on what you are doing compared to when you are on your bike.
But hey maybe you should be out on your bike ! instead of your car then that is on less dumbass cager on the road.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 07:48 AM

Exactly Disarm a cager, ride the bike.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:29 PM

When in my cage I still think like a m/cst, take note of traffic to even traffic off the road, like hikers, cyclists, to even oncoming cages from another road.
The only things I do not have to be so observant on is if the road has some gravel, oil or such.
Besides I know if I am tapped lightly by another cage I will not be put down on the pavement (possibly injure) & my vehicle damaged to what extent I do not know.
So in a way I relax, but like another mentioned I am aware of the blind spots.
In honesty I prefer my m/c.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:37 PM

Re: When in the cage...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
...But when your in your car does it ever dawn on you that you are being put into the "cager" stereotype even though your technically not a "cager"?
I try to get away from the sterotypes by wearing my helmet and full leathers when I'm in a car, even as a passanger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode