HD Question.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb HD Question....

Alright, here's a chance for all you experts out there to enlighten me. Something I've been trying to figure out for awhile, but nobody I ask seems to have a clue as to why this is. Here goes:

If Hardleys are soooo popular, and remember, we've been told that just about EVERYBODY wants at least one, not to mention that every wanna-be out there lusts after his very own Hardley Ableson, why is it that they make up more individual listings than any other single brand, or even single type of bike in the motorcycle classified ads. Local surveys show a ratio of about 20 to 1.

If they are as cool as their advertising pap would have us believe, how come it looks like they're getting dumped on the local market? How come the bad boys of summer want to get rid of the only thing that reinforces their self-image? Have HDs appreciated in value so much that greed has taken over a large population of Hardley riders?

What do YOU think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 12:21 PM

Lots of factors here I think. First, there is a huge demand for them since HD cut production and bikes (in general) or more popular than ever. So yeah, the greed factor is definitely there - how else could they pay for their new skull tats? Secondly, there is a large demand for restoration projects so bikes that would normally be sent to the scrap heap wind up in someone's garage where it sits, until the buyer's wife nags him long enough, and he sells it to another sucker. Lastly, if these bikes didn't get sold and resold so often the American chrome industry would shut down.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
Lots of factors here I think. First, there is a huge demand for them since HD cut production and bikes (in general) or more popular than ever. So yeah, the greed factor is definitely there - how else could they pay for their new skull tats? Secondly, there is a large demand for restoration projects so bikes that would normally be sent to the scrap heap wind up in someone's garage where it sits, until the buyer's wife nags him long enough, and he sells it to another sucker. Lastly, if these bikes didn't get sold and resold so often the American chrome industry would shut down.
I agree with just about everything you said with the exception of the chroming business. There would still be plenty of sportbikes to chrome the frames, wheels, swingarms, etc. of.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 12:50 PM

There are some good points in owning a Harley.

Even if most of us are not keen on Harleys.
The big factor is there is no end of aftermarket parts & specialized components from simply exhaust systems, fuel tanks, frames, wheels, forks, to complete power-plants no matter how old the bike is. Something NOT avaliable to the average owners of Japanese & European m/cs.
You could come across an old 'knuckle-head' & still be able to obtain aftermarket parts for the bike & many of them could be improved from the original days of the bike.
You could be in contact with these that like to modify such bikes & find out they have a maze of specialized frames, forks, fenders, etc.
Lastly you have a LOT of people out there that like to tinker around with Harleys & willing to help or offer guidence.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 03:08 PM

Look what I just sold on Ebay (hee hee hee!! Snicker!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1837036526
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:50 PM

Mabey they've seen the light!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode