Another Yamaha bites the dust - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Another Yamaha bites the dust

Now, I don't want to talk bad about any one particular brand, but this is my friends second yamaha, and both have had major mechanical problems. The first one (2001 R1) was a total lemon. Everything that could go wrong, did. They bought it back. Just a few days ago, he had a major crash as a result of the footpeg falling off his new (2002) R1. I see a trend that'll keep me from EVER riding blue. Unfortunately for him, this was that one rare instance where he went out without his riding jacket. The bike travelled over 270 feet from the skid marks where the tires caught. The bike had already been sliding for a while when the tires caught and shot the bike off the road. Here are some pics: Just a note, some of the injury pics are gross. Be prepared before you scroll down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

side view. The subframe bolts sheared. They are very soft aluminum. All you 2002 R1 owners out there, These bolts are a major weak point in your bike. I'd think about replacing them with somewhat stronger bolts. These bolts are gonna break long before your subframe breaks. Don't put fat chicks on the back!!!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Sheared fork tube.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Left Arm:
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Right Leg:
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Right arm. The right shoulder got it too, but, I think this is enough pics. These injury pics were taken Saturday evening, 4 days after the accident. He's healing fast, so these pictures don't show how bad it was.

Last edited by Kevlar7R; 06-26-2002 at 02:56 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Founder

Kevin,

Who?

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

The odd thing here is, the R1 has been the best bike I've ever owned hands-down. Every manufacturer can make a lemon though.

I will admit that if you ride an R1 hard, you'd better keep your eye on the nuts and bolts. I've already rattled quite a few out including motor mounts.

Sorry to hear about your friends get-off. That sucks. The bike is demolished and he is lucky!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:27 AM

OUCH OUCH OUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:31 AM

Your friend looks like he was very lucky compared to how the bike looks. Was he wearing jeans? How fast was he going? This is why I always wear my jacket you never know when you are going to go down. I hope this incident does not discourage him from riding, I'm sure he has learned from it and now is a better rider. Wish him a quick recovery

BTW How did the footpeg fall off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode