Buying first bike, got a few questions about price... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Buying first bike, got a few questions about price...

I just got done with my MSF class and got 50 out of 50 on the writen and a perfect score on the skills test. I got my license today, and im waiting on getting my loan this week. There is a 94 f2 for sale for 3 grand in my town, only problem is it has 25000 miles. Is this too many miles. This will be my first bike, and im sure ill have it for 2 or 3 years or so. Im sure i could maybe talk him down a little bit too. There are 2 other f2s for sale with 20000 miles for 4 grand. There is a 92 for 3000 with 14000 miles on it, but someone told me that the 94 has a better suspention. What do you guys think. Im gonna go see the 94 with 25000 miles on it wed, to see how it looks. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:44 PM

First off, let me say good job on taking the MSF class, and great job on not going out and getting the brand new R1 for the first bike. Its nice to see someone do it right and safe. My first ride was a 1988 Hinda Hurricane (CBR600F for those who aren't familiar). I bought it at over 20,000 miles and beat the living hell out of it and had NOT ONE problem with the thing. It had been down before (not me ) and I treated like a $2 whore, but it never complained. I liked that bike a lot, and would still have it if I didn't need a car at the time - it was my only vehicle. It was heavy and ugly, but it was a blast. What I am saying is, 25k is not a whole lotta miles for a CBR. I read somewhere a guy got like 250,000 miles out of a 900RR before he got tagged by a cager and had to bury her. Check and see what the F2's are going for in your area, and look at KBB.com to get an idea. Test drive it to make sure it hasn't been through any really bad spills, and go from there. A guy I ride with has a 94 F2 and he rides the piss out of it and it handles great. He keeps up with the group until we hit the straights and all the big bikes disappear, but the twisties are what counts. The F2 is a great bike. Good luck and welcome to the club.....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:19 PM

Congrats on the score, I was close...only missed one One piece of advice that I can offer is be sure to consider the insurance rates on the bikes. I was shopping for a 95/96 CBR but ended up getting a 2k R6 because of insurance. My total payment was about $10/mo more with the R6 and a much better bike. It was a difference of about $130/mo for the CBR and $45/mo insurance on the R6.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:26 PM

IT'S A HONDA............. I've owned a few... and miles were never a worry..... I think they may be related to the energizer bunny. hopefully you get the same experience with them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 08:51 AM

Good job on the MSF, I missed one myself, skidded during the braking test and went a foot to far! As long as the bike runs well and has been taken care of, I see no problem with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode