Seasonal Bike Prices - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Question Seasonal Bike Prices

With the introdutory amount of economic education I have obtained thus far, it would seem to me that the price of used bikes would be higher in the summer.
*Seeing how more people want to ride/buy a bike due to the warm weather, this would increase the demand for bikes.
*And since more people are riding and dont want to sell their bike right now, supply would stay the same (for the most part).
*Therefore an increase in Demand and a constant supply curve would result in higher prices during the summer.

Now at the end of the summer people who own a bike already, may want to take advantage of "End of Summer" sales and purchase a newer bike. People who don't own bikes will be less likely to purchase due to the colder weather. Thus the demand for used bikes decreases and the supply of used bikes increases, resulting in a decrease of price.

If this is right, I should wait till the end of the summer to by my bike at a cheaper price.

Anyone care to school me on my economics? And how much of a price drop can I expect? Im in the market for a 96-98 CBR F3. Thanks all.

Kyle

Last edited by Kyle; 06-24-2002 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:02 AM

I just got a headache
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by chad 711
I just got a headache
Haha... same way I felt after Econ class

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:43 AM

I think another good time to buy used is spring and early summer. Most new models come out the beginning of the year and there's a moderate amout of people looking for the latest and greatest and is willing to sell there bike for them. I heard a couple of people wanting the 2002 R1 and the Honda 954. I would keep my eye open for desperate sellers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:50 AM

here in florida its the total opposite. the summer is really hot (90-112 degrees) so bikes get cheap because no one really rides, the heat doesn't bother me though, in the winter (55-75 degrees) everyone is out cruising so bike prices rise.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
here in florida its the total opposite. the summer is really hot (90-112 degrees) so bikes get cheap because no one really rides, the heat doesn't bother me though, in the winter (55-75 degrees) everyone is out cruising so bike prices rise.
Well maybe ill start checking the ads from florida, I have plenty of relatives who wouldn't mind a visit from me
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 04:34 PM

Not necessarilly(sp )
Dealers also get better prices and bonus points for moving alot stock, sometimes you can find better deals in the summer and a little more expensive during the winter when the new shit comes out and they need money for food cause they blew all they're summer earnings
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 04:52 PM

Re: Seasonal Bike Prices

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
With the introdutory amount of economic education I have obtained thus far, it would seem to me that the price of used bikes would be higher in the summer.
What a coincedance- I just read about this phenomenon in the latest issue of "DUH" magazine! I'm sooo glad I went to a tech school.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Seasonal Bike Prices

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

What a coincedance- I just read about this phenomenon in the latest issue of "DUH" magazine! I'm sooo glad I went to a tech school.
Oh I apologize for being so elementary, I had no idea someone of your stature would grace this thread with your prescence. Ill try to keep it a bit more technical for you. :

And apparantly Shannon and SilentNeko seem to think the opposite of what the "obvious" answer to my question would be. So how much of a price difference could be expected due to the change in season?

Last edited by Kyle; 06-25-2002 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode