Buy something you can handle!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Angry Buy something you can handle!!

Ok, let me begin by saying that far be it from me to criticize someone for their choice in bikes, but...

Is there anything more annoying when splitting traffic than someone going along at the same spped as the cars? I'm riding to work this morning, running a few minutes late, and I come up on what looks from behind to be a Buell going slowly and think to myself, maybe he'll just let me by. No such luck. I look ahead of him to see a Goldwing...man strike two! Finally there is a break in traffic and I see my opportunity to squeeze by these barely moving obstacles and as I start to go around, I notice the real problem, A DAMN R1!!! This squid was death-gripping the bars so hard I thought he was gonna rip them off. The look on his face was one of sheer terror. I just shook my head as I cruised on by, followed by the train of bikes lined up behind him.

Now again, I would not criticize someone for any bike they buy...Yamahas are cool...you know, if you're into that sort of thing , and none of your friends has explained the superiority of the Honda Line to you (ok, let the flaming begin, can ya tell I like to stri sh*t up? ).

My point to this is just that you shouldn't buy something you are scared to death of...and if you do you should wait to take it on the freeway in morning traffic until you aren't scared of it. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE IF YOU ARE SPLITTING TRAFFIC AND A FASTER BIKE COMES UP BEHIND YOU LET THEM BY!!!

Thank you for your time and ride safe!!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:11 AM

Unfortunately these days most will not take it step by step ---

--when it comes to learning how to ride & what their lst bike is.
Basically one should start off with a small bike, then with a lot more knowledge as to what is up ahead, what is wear & tear --- then into possibly a 500 'used' bike & this gives them more time to learn on a heavier & faster bike along with more into what makes good bikes tick. Actually if one has the money it is an IDEAL thing to hang onto this bike for trotting around town, grunt runs, etc.
THEN possibly their lst new bike but NO 98.6% will not go by the best learning path.
So you end up with those with 'death grip' on their new bike & Lord knows what else is in store for them.
The pity of it is so many must have the BEST right at the start & what a pity that they have nothing better to aim for in the future.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:16 AM

Re: Buy something you can handle!!

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
AND FOR GOD'S SAKE IF YOU ARE SPLITTING TRAFFIC AND A FASTER BIKE COMES UP BEHIND YOU LET THEM BY!!!

Thank you for your time and ride safe!!
lmao, ok which one is it? Ride safe or split traffic?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

I can honestly say that I did not follow the best path, but I did start with a 600, and I rode (and still ride) within my limits. The saddest thing was seeing this kid on his new toy and thinking that I'll probably be made late to work again by him when he turns it into a $10,000.00 guardrail finder or even worse death-trap. I wish him the best and hope he lears to handle that machine, but reality has a habit of kicking you in the head and saying "Keep away from this rider at all costs"

I just wanted to vent a little, thanks for listening!

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Re: Re: Buy something you can handle!!

Quote:
Originally posted by chad 711

lmao, ok which one is it? Ride safe or split traffic?

Splitting traffic is plenty safe if done without HUBS (Head Up Butt Syndrome)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Re: Buy something you can handle!!

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh

My point to this is just that you shouldn't buy something you are scared to death of...
I was scarred to death of my yamaha srx 250 when i got it. Damn near crapped my pants when i got up to 55

A good friend of mine recently came into some money and decided he's gonna get a bike. He really wants an R1. His riding experience consists of a quad and his friends brothers dirtbike that he rides once in a while I told him that if he gets that bike i'll never ride with him because he's gonna kill himself and i dont wanna be there when he does it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

Last edited by Tippmann; 06-24-2002 at 12:10 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

I've always respected it - but sad to say the R1 itself never scared me. I've scared myself on it, but by it's nature it's quite a controlable beast. Now me on the other hand...

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

Last edited by chris_y2k_r1; 06-25-2002 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode