squeeze them HARD - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

squeeze them HARD

was watching a program this weekend, saw this old BMW with brake and clutch levers that pivot at the end of the handle bar, opposite of what we have today. Now this seems like a kick ass idea, it puts your stronger fingers out at the end of the lever where they work better. I would think it would take less strenght to apply the same amount of force to the levers, you would be less likely to get sore and tired hands

anyone knw why we don't have these as an option today? is there some fatal flaw and drawback that I can't see?

and anyone know where I could et some, or will I have to make them myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:16 AM

With conventional levers, a minor tipover might break off the end of the lever but usually leaves it functional, and you're able to get back home at least. With the pivot at the end of the bar, you're hosed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:20 AM

Itr is an old idea that came about in 1920 to 1930s

It was often on the more costly bikes, for the set-up is quite different & in those days sometimes the cables even went through the handlebars weakening them.
Still when it came to comp the dropping of a bike meant a costly damage & so most dumped this idea & in most cases it came from their comp riders to customers going back to the present & more sensible thing. Besides EACH had their own set-up so you were stuck with that firm for replacements which also meant various lengths of clutch & brake lines.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks for the info, guys. That makes sence about damage if you drop the bike. I actually think it looks kinda stupid, but looks like it would make the clutch easier. After a day with alot of city driving my clutch hand goes numb. You know that how your legs feel when you go out and run a long distance, that's how my hands feel. Is there a way to increase the leverage ratio while keeping the standard levers?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 01:24 PM

Make sure you've got the levers rotated so that your wrist is as straight as you can get it when pulling in the lever. Try to "pace" your stop-n-go driving so that you don't have to have the clutch pulled in all the time allowing extra space in front of you if necessary. Adjust the play in the clutch toward the minimum so that it disengages before the bottom of the pull. That's all I can think of.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 03:55 PM

RayO has a good point---

---still clutches are SO EASY to pull in now.
If you went back to the late 40s to mid-60s any decent sized m/c had a clutch lever that really was a monster to work with.
In comp I simply forgot the clutch lever, after a lap or two & simply 'crashed the box'. Times have changed & proof of why they tried to offer better leverage on those older irons as their clutches were identical to what we had in the late 40s to the mid-60s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode