My bike and battle damage - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

My bike and battle damage

hey guys, finally grabbed the old digital camera, check out my 84 cb750f, these are from about 5 min ago, the last 2 shots show what happened in the crash, the parts are on the way so don't worry. take a good look because its not going to look this way for long. some plans include different mirrors and turn signals, I think I'll leave the kerker exhuast alone. oh and a vintage ducati style fairing. tell me what you think.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/neko/example.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 07:30 PM

Good shot of the damage.
Still the prior owner came close to offering you the next step to a set of ape-bars (though not that far) compared to what the bike had originally.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 09:51 PM

Cool, I see some streetfighter possibilities! The crash caused a few oopsies, but nothing major. I would suggest some lower bars and possibly different rubber if available. But thats just me. Also, in the pics I didn't see an aircleaner. Was this damaged in the crash?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

whats an ape bar? yes I'm looking into getting new lower bars for her to go with the new fairing when I order it. nope no air filter, it had foam stacks on it when I bought it but 2 were missing so I just pulled the other 2 off so it would run equal, I'll be getting new ones soon, and maybe re jetting the carbs because it runs a little slow even with the kerker exhaust. as far as the rubber, I know they aren't the best tires, but they are brand new, so I'll run them down while I get used to riding again. where can I find a place to buy the bars and filters, I need an online store with pictures. thanks guys, so how does she look, not to bad for an 84 huh?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:28 AM

Defination of "ape bars"----

---can be seen on older choppers or even some present HD bikes.
The bars will go almost beyond the riders reach then come back down -- so in actual fact the rider looks like an ape hanging from the branch of a tree.
The answer is to look at mags or sites that show bikes of the 80s & see stock lower bars and NOT clip-ons for the bike was never designed to be a sportbike or cafe racer unless one was willing to make some MAJOR changes & spend a lot of money & time on it.
The lack of air filters simply allows dust, grit & crap to get into the engine wearing it out darn quickly.
Remember a bike of this age was never fast & basically any 500cc & up bike will go by it like greased lightening.
Get things corrected & ride it like a decent communication m/c WHICH is what it was designed for.
Save yourself money by NOT trying to dress up this bike or make it look or operate like a present sportbike.
You have a LOT to learn about m/cing so do the above & then do a lot of reading, but do not dream up how beautiful or powerful you can make the bike.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

wow smitty you seem to have an attitude against my bike, did it wrong you in a former life? well first about the air filters, I'm not riding the bike so nothing will get in, I'm still waiting on parts for it which should be here on tuesday. I'm working on a filter system for it right now. as far as the bars go, they are set in about the same position as a zrx1200 or fz-1, they aren't as high or as wide as they seem. and I found several bars to put on it, why not put cafe racer bars on it? thats what I like. as far as making it like a new sport bike, thats not my intension, just want something funky to ride around and maybe take to one of those vintage races one day. the bike is not as slow as you think, remember I just unloaded a gsxr600, granted it was faster but not extremely, and I would be able to spank an ex500. my bike is the same bike from 79 which I have found several people used as cafe racers because of the dohc engine, so why not me.
I am leaning about bikes, quite quickly might I add, this bike is comfy for me to ride, the gixxer was impossibe to ride for more them 15 min at a time. If I like my bike why not fix her up and make her my own? she runs perfect, just needs a few modern touches.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 03:55 PM

Only thing I can say is that I speak with a fair amount of experience.

Started riding in '45, into the m/c business in '47, into dirt comp in same yr, into road racing in '48 & realized I like the lean forward riding position, so stated to modify my street irons that way. Had requests from customers for the same so by this time I am producing what many called cafe racers when most were aiming at choppers --- fast difference.
Even doing the latter to Japanese bikes in '70s once I realized their suspension & handeling was good if not better then British.
Still riding (owner of a TZR-250 & YZF-600r plus a 929) --- so what I say is from EXPERIENCE.
Okay the bars you hve in mind for R-1 & such will put a strain on your back as the footrests on your bike are to far fowared & to low which means you will need a set of rear-sets. Best move would be for STOCK bars sitting on top of the fork yoke & some decent width, but not the extreme of what you have now.
All I can say about the rest of your dreams is that you are looking at a terrible cost on money & in a short while you will find the compete front end needs to be replaced with superior forks & superior stopping power, proper Timkin roller thrust brgs at the top & probaly a change in the fork rake through some good metal cutting of the frame & then good welding.
Still look at the skinny rear wheel that ALSO needs better disc brake & broader wheel, so now we need to widen the s/arm & stop it from flexing, dump the shocks for something decent, & on & on it will go. Only if you are well experienced in this field of m/cing & can do 90% of it yourself with a wad of money can you come out with a dream bike.
Better to stick to my words of putting money away for a newer bike & just use this one for communication.
Did I mention a big bore kit, garbaging your dinky carbs, etc????
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 04:09 PM

My apologizies, but I am NOT against your bike.

This was a well designed m/c. I had one & went to work putting flat bars (not clip-ons) & rear-sets on the bike. Improved the rear end, did some trick work to the f/forks, pointless ignition, etc.
Still in the end I found the f/forks were simply to weak, & the brakes were ghastly even with SS braided hydraulic lines.
Oh I put a pile of money into that bike, but when I sold it, fortunately I still had all the original parts & the buyer wanted it back to normal, so garbage handlebars, rear-sets & so much more. FORTUNATELY I had realized I was asking to much from this bike & had canceled a Custom 4-piece fairing from a UK the churned out fairings for me in the past.
This is an ideal commuter bike with an almost bullet proof engine & cog box. Keep it that way till you have enough money for a true sportbike or some other bike that is more modern & to your likeing --- she is an old beater & will cost you to much money if you try to make it into a dream bike.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

smitty my friend we are still not on the same wave here. ok I'm not talking about clip ons, the bars I'm getting are one peice cafe racer bars from denniskirk.com, they do not drop, they still raise up 3.5 inches so it will only be about 3-4 inches lower then mine, from what I can tell this would be similar to the lower bars you refered to. I'm not looking to be hunched over all the time, just looking for a little sportier feel. as for the suspension, I'm not touching it like I said earlier I'm just looking for something funky to ride. and since owning this bike and the gsxr600 I don't think I'll be getting a true sport bike next, maybe something like a bandit or fz-1, or maybe a speed 4.
as for dumping money into it, parts are dirt cheap, heres a short list:
$42- cafe racer bars
$22- bar end mirrors
$86- universal 1/4 fairing
$18- new turn signals
free- repainting
thats only 168 bucks for a funky bike no one else around here will have, I think its well worth it. oh and whats wrong with the brakes? I thought they did there job quite nicely for street use.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 05:18 AM

Where R U?

You forgot to put yourself in the pics, cast, bandages and everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode