I Need Legal Advice!!!!!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I Need Legal Advice!!!!!!!!

Ok, so here's what happened. I went up to Mt Washington last night in Pittsburgh to meet some people. I don't know if any of you have ever been to Pittsburgh but the streets are like a maze. Anyway I'm cruising along and all of a sudden hear sirens, I stop and the cop informs me I ran a stop sign. I'm like WTF I never ran a stopsign, at least not one I saw. He was behind me for three other stop signs that i stopped at if I'd have seen the first one I obviously would have stopped. I try and explain that I'm from Ohio and we don't have streets like this and I'm sorry I didn't see the sign but now I know it's there. But to no avail, I end up with a $95 failure to stop at a stopsign ticket. Now my question is this, do I contest the ticket and bullshit the judge about how I'm moving up there for school and the sign is hard to see and it was completely unintentional being that I stopped for all the others I'm from out of state and was confused, etc,etc. Or do I just pay the $95 and hope the points never get transferred over into Ohio???????? Thanks a million for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 06:12 AM

if your going to bs the judge don't use that storey, maybe tell him that you did a rolling stop or something, in most states it is legal.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 06:23 AM

Angry Don't lie!!!

I totally DISAGREE with the last poster. I think your explanation is reasonable and sounds like an honest mistake. Remember, you are Mitigating the ticket NOT contesting it. That means yes you commited the infraction, but you would like to explain yourself. Your out of state ID/plates is proof enough to help support your story. Also, if your driving record is relatively clean, you may try calling the courts. Many states offer a deferment program, which keeps the ticket off your record, provided you get no other moving violations within one year. You try to contest the ticket and it will be held up, and as far as I know a "rolling stop" isn't legal anywhere. Thats why it is a STOP sign and not a yield.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 06:44 AM

hi its the last poster again, I work for the broward sheriffs office, I am a sworn deputy so I'm not just spitting out empty advise, every time I've seen some one use the "I'm new in town excuse" the judge always says the same thing. if you travel to another state you are required to learn there traffic laws. and he ran a stop sign if he didn't slow down then there is no excuse for it, every state has stop signs. and rolling stops are legal in most states, unless the stop sign is an absolute stop, then as long as you slow down to under 15mph then you can go through it. you can go in front of the judge, but since you were on a bike, and your out of state I doubt he will look apon you as a model of civility
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Damn you guys are quick!! I just posted this like an hour ago. lol I don't know what I'm gonna do yet. Maybe I'll call the court over there and ask them if they offer something like that. Paying the ticket is no big deal, I just don't want the points on my license becuase state farm is more than likley going to drop me when they catch wind of it. Then my insurance rates are going to be RIDICULOUS! I did kind of slow down coming up on the intersection because i figured there was a stop sign somewhere. It was like two streets merging into one and I saw a stop sign but it sure as hell looked like it was facing the other street and not mine. I kind of slowed down almost to a complete stop not knowing what to do then just went ahead through it when I didn't see any cars coming.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 08:27 AM

I think your story would get you a lot of mercy from most judges. It was an honest mistake, IF the cop shows up for court he can testify that you stopped for all the other signs and thus show that it wasn't a habit of yours. If he doesn't show up it's most likely gonna be thrown out. I think it's worth a few hundred bucks to get a lawyer in order to fight this and keep the points off which will hurt your insurance for 3-5 years. I would guess that Ohio and PA share ticket info so it will show up, most states with common borders do.

good luck and let us know what happens
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 09:15 PM

Absolute stop!?!?

Not trying to bust your balls, but "an absolute stop"? I have been in law enforcement myself for 10 years now, myself. I don't claim to know laws outside my own state, but I have never heard of such a thing. Please define. How would an average citizen know the difference?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 09:33 PM

I am also unfamiliar with an absolute stop. I got a ticket years ago in Va. for running a stop sign. The officer told me that he did not see me put my foot down, therefore I did not come to a complete stop. (I probably didn't) Cost me something like 50 bucks at the time. My understanding is stop means stop. If you are that tight on points I'd go the lawyer route. If you just need to keep it off the insurance, many states offer the option of driving school. This will keep the points off the insurance record.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

What to do what to do. Who should I contact about taking that driving course to keep the points off? I've heard of people doing that but have no idea who the got in contact with. I think I'm going to contest it and just explain my story to the judge and hope he understands where I'm coming from and drops or reduces the ticket. Probably get screwed and have to pay the ticket plus court costs though. I'd love to get a lawyer but money's tight right now. Anyone else have any other ideas?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 05:52 AM

everyone has seen an absolute stop sign, first most cops don't know what it is because they never bother to read there state traffic guide. in many states you will see when approaching a stop sign there is a sign a few yards in front of it that has a red octagon and an arrow pointing up, this designates a stop sign as an absolute stop sign. when this is present you must come to a complete stop, if its not there then you can do a rolling stop. but check the local law to see if they have legal rolling stops in that state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode