Want Cheap 1st bike Zx6 or FZR? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Want Cheap 1st bike Zx6 or FZR?

Never road a sport bike for more than just a few blocks in neighborhoods. Dirt for a couple of years.

I want a cheap bike to learn on but want it also to be relitivly sporty.

What is the opinion on early 90 zx6 and fzr 600's.

Looking around seems like the cbr's are still pricy and the kawi and yamaha have alot of used older bikes under $2k.

Again know they wont keep up with the new 6r or cbr's or zx6r's
I want something to learn on wont mind dropping still handles ok and does not look to bad.

Figure spend $2k and learn make sure I like to ride and then move up from there. Would love to have a new zx6r or r6 but need to make sure i like it before dropping that kinda money.

What is your opinion on these bikes any known problems. I know they are not fast compared to todays standards but still fast enough to be fun.

Are they decent bikes and how about a cheap under 2k bike should I be worried it is trashed or cause me problems or just depends on how it was taken care of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:39 AM

Either one would be good bikes to learn on. Both were pretty reliable bikes and you would be surprised at how well they will keep up in the twisties.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

I wish I did not throw away my old magazines when I moved I had like a huge box of them starting in 91 to about 94 would have been nice to look back and see some numbers for the older bikes.

Is there alot of maitincence with a bike? Change oil, take care of the chain, anything else really... thinking also with an older bike might have to get some parts are parts inexpensive for older bikes? Like breaks and things like that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroOX
I wish I did not throw away my old magazines when I moved I had like a huge box of them starting in 91 to about 94 would have been nice to look back and see some numbers for the older bikes.

Is there alot of maitincence with a bike? Change oil, take care of the chain, anything else really... thinking also with an older bike might have to get some parts are parts inexpensive for older bikes? Like breaks and things like that.
Those bikes didn't require a lot of maint. outside of the routine stuff you mentioned. Brake pads and clutch pads aren't all that expensive for any bike until you get into the really high performance stuff and then not even that bad. I paid around $80 for the brake pads on my bike and they are "race" pads. Those bikes you are looking at were fairly common so parts aren't that hard to come by.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 12:19 PM

Both reliable bikes.

STILL with full plastic fairings the lst time you drop the bike it will be costly.
I would am for a bike without all the costly plastic to learn on, then, next Spring, probably sell if for close to your cost & go for a sportbike ------- I know most will not go for this, but they all find out once they drop the bike or have a small spill AND then wish they had gone the sensible way.
It should be catching on NOW since so many makers are going for skelton bikes & in a more upright riding position in 900 to 1000 size.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 11:33 PM

NO QUESTION, HANDS DOWN................ZX6!

GO TO - http://www.teamnolimitracing.com/photo.html
The last 12 pics on the page are of a "tricked" '94 ZX6E.

ENJOY!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode