Got Disk Locks? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Got Disk Locks?

OK...so I'm all geared up, bike warmed up, and ready to hit the road. I ease up on the clutch, give it some gas, I'm rolling and BAM! Loud crunch noise...bike stops...feet still up...I go down. I realize I forgot to take off the f*#@ing disk lock. Luckily no one was watching, but managed to ding my crankcase cover (saved my fairings with my leg!). Also have a warped rotor. Bummer deal. I even had one of those wire reminders sitting in my storage compartment. How embarressing and stupid!

Has this ever happened to you?
Let us know how, when and where!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 05:44 AM

See that's why I never used one cuz I know one day I'd have a brain fart!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 08:19 AM

I'm afraid to use my disc lock anytime other then when I cover the bike for the night because I only seem to remember it as part of the routine of taking the cover off. I've forgotten a couple times but luckily I was backing out parking spots at the time so nothing real bad happened. Taught me I didnt want to take the risk tho =>

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 09:58 AM

I've been there done that several times!!!

To decrease the damage potential:

1] ALWAYS use it so you get in a routine

2] park so you have to back up to leave so you don't do what you did and ride forward with it attached (my fender is trashed from backing up with it attached but WTF it's $50 to replace if someday I decide to)

3] get a small round magnet that fits over the lock on the disc lock, when you go to place the disc lock you have to take the magnet off, place the magnet over the ignition key hole. Now to start the bike you have to remove the magnet to start the bike. Big reminder.

4] Along with number 2 place the lock as close to the fender i.e. up top so that you can only back up an inch or two before contact so you don't develope any momentum.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 10:38 AM

Part of my routine when preparing to ride is the disk lock. I definitely lock the bike when it is parked at home (carport only) So I almost never forget that the bike is locked when I'm home. The other time I lock the bike is when I know I will be inside an establishment for an extended period of time (movies, etc.)

The times I forget the lock has happened very few times. I've forgotten to unlock my helmet from the helmet lock before firing up the motor more.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:38 AM

The guy I bought my lock from recommended that, when backing into a sport, put the rear tire to the curb, put the lock on as close as possible to the caliper in the direction of tire rotation. Push the bike forward till it is in contact with the calipers. That way you can't move the bike at all with it on, 0 momentum means zero damage when you forget about it, you'll just stall.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 05:37 AM

What about U-style locks or the chain type when at home?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
I've been there done that several times!!!

To decrease the damage potential:

1] ALWAYS use it so you get in a routine

2] park so you have to back up to leave so you don't do what you did and ride forward with it attached (my fender is trashed from backing up with it attached but WTF it's $50 to replace if someday I decide to)

3] get a small round magnet that fits over the lock on the disc lock, when you go to place the disc lock you have to take the magnet off, place the magnet over the ignition key hole. Now to start the bike you have to remove the magnet to start the bike. Big reminder.

4] Along with number 2 place the lock as close to the fender i.e. up top so that you can only back up an inch or two before contact so you don't develope any momentum.

Great ideas! Particularly the magnet. Is genius to strong a word? Just being a smartass. Seriously though I think if they were to follow rule #1 religously the other rules make it near foolproof. Of course I saw a signature on this site a couple of times about creating a better fool so that may be the loophole in this. But I think the magnet idea would make it almost impossible to forget the lock.
Great post!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

great ideas

Great ideas so as to not do it again! The two times its happened to me i was facing forward, and the wheel was able to turn 3/4 of the way before stopping...enough to put my feet up. Good reason to get new rotors! Gotta love the magnet idea! Thanks guys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 12:10 PM

Haven't done it - yet! I have one of the locks that comes with a 24" chain attached. When I use the lock, I either wrap the chain around an immovable object, or I trail the chain out on the ground at a 90 degree angle to the bike, so that you can't help but see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode