Rider down (long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Rider down (long)

I was checking out the latest posts around here a few hours ago, when I felt a very strong urge to go out and ride. I haven't used my bike for anything else but commuting for a while, so I was pretty excited. However, that excitement cost me dearly, because I tried to take a curve a wee bit too fast and crashed.

During midturn, I felt the tires were slipping, and ran wide until there was no more road left to ride on and fell on a ditch. My first thoughts after I realized I was still alive and with no injuries were about the hassle I'd have to endure to push the bike out of the ditch. Since I didn't sustain any injuries, I hoped the bike was OK as well. WRONG! I almost cried when I saw that the right turn signal had been torn off and my right rearview mirror had dug into the fairing and cracked it and bent it out of shape.

Well, I thought, at least the motor must be running fine and I'll be able to ride back home and further assess the damage. WRONG. The bike would not start at all. Then I remembered that someone once mentioned that some of the fluids would spill and the bike becomes hard to start after laying it down. Fortunately, somebody saw my futile attempts to push it out of the ditch and stopped to help me. After thanking the stranger profusely and back on a level surface I waited a few minutes and tried to start the bike again. After cranking it for a while it complied and I thought that it wasn't so bad after all and that I should be glad that the only damage was cosmetic.

WRONG. I ride away and notice something weird with the bars, they seem to be pointing in a different direction than the wheel. Wonderful! Just what I wanted for Christmas and Santa never brought me: bent forks! Well I can get used to this, at least until I get home; at least I'll be able to return by my own means, I thought.

WRONG. The bike refused to run properly and kept dying on me. I noticed it would only run when on the lower gears, and if I tried to upshift past 3rd gear the rpms would drop and the engine would die. And when I kept it under 3rd gear the ride was very rough and the engine was surging and hesitating (probably this doesn't make sense, I don't know the words to describe engine problems). Well, as long as I go slowly and don't mind the rough ride I can make it home, I thought once again.

WRONG. With all that excitement, I forgot to close my visor, or maybe I had decided to keep it open, because I had worked quite a sweat pushing the bike out of the ditch, I can't really remember what I was thinking. All I know is that it was stupid, because after riding for a few blocks, a mosquito hits me right in the eye! I had to stop to remove it and then my bike died one more time and I was never able to start it again. I pushed it to a nearby Walgreens and called my father. He picked me up in my brother's truck and drove me home. And here I am, telling you guys of my misfortune...

WRONG! That was no misfortune, what happened had nothing to do with bad luck. It was a consequence of poor technique and lack of experience in how to handle emergency situations like it. In my defense, all I have to say is that the only way I knew to learn to ride well was to push myself further a little bit everytime (I ride alone all the time), but this time I pushed it too far and ended screwing everything up. I did not sustain any severe injuries, and the damage to my bike wasn't too bad, but my ego is wrecked. Crashing is not pretty, but I am somewhat glad something like this happened to teach me that accidents do not happend only to other people and the importance of wearing proper riding gear. I absorbed most of the impact with my hands and would have scraped them quite badly if I had not been wearing gloves. The worst injury I sustained is a rash on my right forearm caused by my Atomic jacket rubbing against it.

Well, congratulations! Thanks for reading this all the way to the end. I just had to tell this to somebody who could relate to it (I don't know anybody who rides). Remeber: Wear all your gear and ride safe.

Blade

P.S: If you find this post funny, feel free to laugh. I tried to make it sound fun. Since I can't change the past all I can do is laugh it off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 01:05 AM

Bummer about the get off. I'm glad to hear the damage was primarily to your bike though & not you. So is the bike totaled? Pretty honest assessment of what went wrong man & I admire your straight forward way of stating it. Some people would be blaming a variety of things from freak road conditions to freak cagers. You will learn a lot from this as we all do once we get up, dust ourselves off, nurse our injuries & fix or replace the bike.
If you end up replacing it are you leaning towards anything in particular? Good luck & let us know how it all comes out.

later bro
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 08:32 AM

Freak road conditions do happen.... I know....sand sucks.

Anyways, glad to hear you're ok. Are you going to claim insurance on the bike? Better on a 250 then a bigger, more expensive machine.

Just a random question, but do you remember what gear you were in when you crashed?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 09:41 AM

Do you think you could have leaned it in a bit more and are you sure the tires were slipping?

Glad you're okay and don't sweat it, we all go down in the interrest of learning to ride harder/better. Just another lesson in sport riding.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:12 AM

Sorry to hear about the crash.I Know the feeling, and my fairing shows it! The main thing is you're OK. The bike can be fixed. Post the problems when you get it all figured out. Mabey someone can help with locating parts or whatever.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:22 AM

Sorry to hear that man. At any rate pilots say "any landing you can walk away from is a good one".
Wouldn't you agree?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by R6steve

If you end up replacing it are you leaning towards anything in particular?
Right now, I'm more concerned about the money it's going to cost me to repair the bike. I have other means of trasnportation, but boy, does driving that 4-wheeled piece of crap suck! I was considering buying a SV as my second bike, but in a year or two. I think the damage my bike sustained wasn't too bad, but if it had been totalled, I would probably have gotten another one just like it. I really like it, and it's pretty cheap. And if I crashed in a 250, I don't want to know what would have happened if had been riding a 600.

Quote:
Originally posted by limegreen6R
Are you going to claim insurance on the bike? Better on a 250 then a bigger, more expensive machine.

Just a random question, but do you remember what gear you were in when you crashed??
No, I didn't get collision insurance for the bike. It would have had to pay about $1000 more a year for it. I only got comprehensive. Must have been in 3rd or 4th gear, judging by the speed I was doing (not very fast).

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
Do you think you could have leaned it in a bit more and are you sure the tires were slipping?
Well, now that I think about it, maybe I could have leaned it a little more (I wasn't even close to scratching a peg). Some people in another board commented that that slipping sensation was due to the poor feedback the stock tires gave. I felt like I was slipping, but propably the bike was just trying to lean more.

Well, thanks to all of you for wishing me well and for the feedback. Now all I have to do is get my bike fixed and keep riding. I guess I'm fortunate I'm not writing this from a hospital bed or wearing a cast in any of my limbs, but I think I can still feel pain through the bike (my poor, poor little Ninja)...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 03:08 PM

BTW, where did you go down, I just moved from Arlington a year ago??
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 04:21 PM

Glad to hear you're OK!I know EXACTLY how you feel cause the same thing happened to me.my bike was going 60 when it hit barbwire fence then flipped but it started right up and drove it home.I feel bad about your wreck and the damage but had to nod my head and chuckle to myself cause I can relate.anyway hope you are riding soon!Good thing you had your gear on!! also..very good thread.

Last edited by blackkaw; 06-16-2002 at 04:30 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 11:53 AM

Twist of the Wrist

Thought I would get my 2 cents in. Let me say that I am sorry you dumped the bike. I know the feeling because I dumped my old bike, an interceptor 500, on a hair-pin turn when the front tire washed out. I almost cried watching my bike sliding while I slid right behind it on my ass! My first impression was, "NOOOOOO!!!" I was so pissed and bummed at the same time. I just finished releasing the front brake level and maintained the throttle, when all of sudden the front tire slipped. I wasn't going too hot into the turn, but I was really puzzled by my fall. However, I tried to remember as much as I good so I would know what the hell I was doing the next time around. I realized my "product" wasn't complete. If you don't know what a "product" is when it comes to riding then you should read Keith Code's book, "Twist of the Wrist." It's a very good book explaining the whole concept of riding and all the things we take for granted when riding. You will learn a lot. I learned a lot from that book even after riding for over 13 years. One main point the book emphasizes is knowing "what the hell happened?" You have to know what you did wrong in order to correct what you did wrong! I think that is why some people asked you, "what happened?" or "what gear where you in?" These are all important factors when it comes to knowing what when wrong. How were your handle bars positioned (did you turn/steer away from the turn?), what gear were you in, did you establish a breaking zone into the turn, did you fixate on your reference points, did you downshift into the turn, did you 50/50 your braking, did you establish your entry as well as your exit points into & out-of the turn??? etc. Obviously you can see where I am going with this. There is a lot more you know than you think about your bummer day. Use it to your advantage rather than repeating the same mistakes again when you don't even know those mistakes. Simply pusing yourself the next time out does not make you a better rider. In my experience, being a better rider is being better informed. Get the book, well worth the investment!

I appreciated your honesty and candor. Be safe out there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode