Wadded which one most? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Wadded which one most?

I was thinking (fleeting moment )... I know that I dropped my Ninja 250 (when I had one) when I first started riding more times than any other bike. Well actually, if you don't count tip-overs, it's the only bike I ever dropped moving. Since I sold the 250 (back in 90) I've continually purchased larger, heavier, faster bikes but I've never dropped any of them even though I am significantly more agressive now. I feel I've learned the critical thing on the street - there's a time and a place for all kinds of riding. Fast in the fast places, slow in the rest.

What's your track record? Was there a bike that was just bad karma for you? Or are you like me and only dropped your first bike?

I know I've had cars that where just doomed... constantly getting wrecked somehow... Hell I had a CRX that was hit 3 times in the same place and I wasn't even in the thing for any of those times.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

Last edited by chris_y2k_r1; 06-14-2002 at 05:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 06:00 AM

Well I originally learned on the dirt, so many drops there because I started when I was still kinda small (8 or 9yrs. old). That, and I sucked at it at first.

When I turned 14, my friend(16) had an '83 Honda Nighthawk 450 that he bought to learn how to ride. He offered to let me learn on it as well, with the expectation that it would be dropped. It was, in fact, dropped many, MANY times. Never dropped real hard or anything, but it had its marks.

Then I had a clean record on my F2 and my F3. Bought my F4 and, believe it or not, rode a girl on the back for the first time. Tried a U-turn and BAM! down she went. No biggie though, just bought a new mirror and handlebar end and got rid of the evidence. After that I had a guy run me off the road and I lowsided. Then about a month and a half later, I totalled the thing. I don't chalk it up to bad Karma though...just the way things happened. Hopefully live and learn, right!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 09:01 PM

whats lowsiding and highsiding?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Lowside is wiping out on the side of the bike that's leaned over, highside is getting tossed to the opposite side. Make sense?

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 07:51 AM

My first car was cursed. When I was 17 I bought a Triump Spitfire. In the next 14 months it went through 7 accidents, none my fault. Two of them were Hit and Runs. 4 were while the care was parked. My dad sold the car from under me when I was away on vacation.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1
Lowside is wiping out on the side of the bike that's leaned over, highside is getting tossed to the opposite side. Make sense?
not exactly, lowsiding is where you slide, no real drama, just you lose traction or lock the front and wipe out.

Highsiding is losing traction on the rear, and then suddenly regaining it, and then having the bike get launched cause of it. More like, you lock the break, let off it and the bike goes flying. You see it in racing when the bike goes squirrley and then starts flipping.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 07:25 PM

I had a Bandit that I could not keep on 2 wheels. I dropped it the 2nd day I had it. Dumbass me parked it facing downhill in neutral. About 2 weeks after this I dumped it in the garage while trying to put it on the centerstand. The third time I just knocked it over in the driveway while washing it. Three times in the 1st month. I was ok when I was riding, but as soon as I parked that bike shit happened.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 01:27 AM

I'm almost afraid to answer this thread for fear of bringing on some bad Karma but I honestly believe I ride better than I had when I was younger & haven't crashed or went down in years. Not counting dirt riding, my 1st street only bike was eventually totaled in a hairy accident canyon carving with a few other times of low siding prior to that. With each other bike after that one I had better experience & did not crash as the result of my fault. I've had the bad luck of cagers putting me on the ground by either rear ending me or turning left in front of me. Even that hasn't happened since 1986, although there have been some close calls, which I believe is the result of years of experience in learning to be hyper vigilent while riding.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kvpZX9R
I had a Bandit that I could not keep on 2 wheels. I dropped it the 2nd day I had it. Dumbass me parked it facing downhill in neutral. About 2 weeks after this I dumped it in the garage while trying to put it on the centerstand. The third time I just knocked it over in the driveway while washing it. Three times in the 1st month. I was ok when I was riding, but as soon as I parked that bike shit happened.
I've dropped my Bandit twice. Once was a highside when I muffed a corner(oops) but the other was at a stop sign. I went to take off, the bike stalled, and just fell over before I could do anything. Apparently it had moved forward just enough that my leg was no longer under it. I didn't even fall down. Just kind of stood there looking stupid. To top it off my boss pulled up behind me right as I picked the bike up! I really felt like MoronBoy that day.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 12:30 PM

My first street bike was in 90' a tuned KZ650 she was a great lil scooter. (as all the Harly guys would say)
The first day I had out I went by my friends house to show his dad my new stead. He gave'er a once over and cited things that needed to be replaced. All was in good order except the front tire was as bald as an eagle. He told me to get her to a bike shop ASAP. Until then I was instructed not to ride her. Me being a 17 year old know it all I was like whatever. After that a buddy and I who had a FZ600 went riding around town. Going through a neighborhood trying to mimic Eddie Lawson around a corner it suddenly felt like my front end was snatched up into the air. The next thing I knew I was airborne dismounted and upside down watching my bike do cartwheels in an explosion of busted turn signals and mirror glass. I almost landed on my feet but fell on my ass then rolled for a ways. My bike almost landed on my leg. For a second or so I thought my leg may be broken due to the initial impact. But when I became coherent I realized I could stumble to my feet. I surveyed the tire marks on the curb and the patch of yellow sand which must have been obscured by the summer sun.
Lessons learned maintainance is very important
I was surprised that most of the damage was cosmetic and I was riding again in just over a moth. Much lator on I would come to find out my frame was broken in the accident.
I learned alot on my first bike.

(BTW I had an EX250 way back when as well)

Last edited by RC51inJapan; 06-16-2002 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode