Help Me Pick My Next Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Help Me Pick My Next Bike

I know it's tough for you all to truly voice your opinions and share a few pennies worth of advice, but I would like your input on my upcoming choice.

The Harley's on the market and getting a few nibbles, so I expect to see it head down the driveway within a few weeks. I have a replacement budget of somewhere in the $7,500-9,000 range. I want to put the balance into investments.

I figure I might find a killer deal on a new bike, but more likely, I'm looking at something a year or three old with low mileage. We all know that a LOT of bikes get a few thousand miles on them, then start collecting dust in the garage. That's what I want.

I've eliminated a number of machines for various reasons. I was seriously considering spending the whole Harley wad on a new Ducati ST4S or Aprilia Futura, but figured that I could get a heck of a bike for a lot less $$$.

So here's my list of bike's I'm considering at this point. I know they'll need some tweeking to be just right for me as I lean more towards the sport-touring flavor of riding, rather than canyon carver. Ergo, helibars, dbl bubble windscreens, better seat and some kind of bags as needed.

BMW: K1200RS (might not find one in my budget though)
Honda: 00-01 VFR or XX
Kawasaki: ZX-11 or ZX9R
Suzuki: 'Busa (maybe) TL (maybe)
Triumph: 00-01 Daytona or ST (really like that triple!)
Yamaha: 99-00 R1 (maybe with mods???)

Ducati's scare me a bit concerning parts and service, same with Aprilia, but I won't pass on a great deal if I find one. (ST2 is a likely candidate in my budget)

OK, so fire away with your opinions, suggestions, critiques...

Thanks,
Kev

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Help Me Pick My Next Bike

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
I figure I might find a killer deal on a new bike, but more likely, I'm looking at something a year or three old with low mileage.
Don't know exactly what your requirements are (weight, 2-up, etc), but before I'd buy a used bike, I'd think hard 'bout visiting yur Kawasaki dealer (have you read the open-class shootouts in Motorcyclist/Sport Rider?). I looked at used before buying my 6R new, but since Kawasaki was cuttin' deals, the me2 crowd won't go near 'em (thanx guys! ), and the used bikes I looked at someone had obviously paid waaaaay to much money for. With the deals everyone's offering these days, it's gonna be tough to find a late-model used bike to compete. Methinks you're going to have to find a hard-luck case in order to get a deal to make it worth buying used. I vote for the 9R if you're leaning towards the sport end of sport-touring.

Now if you're leaning more towards the touring end, check Givi and see what they make luggage for. Got a buddy who has an older VFR with the full Givi setup and it makes a dandy sport-tourer. Sure the bags may stick out a bit (but I didn't think they looked bad at all), but if traveling is your thing...

Also, once you buy a Givi setup, you can always carry 'em with you, having to buy only the mount to fit your new bike. Not a bad investment if you look at the flexibility behind 'em.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Further clarification: I'll do little if any two-up. The wifey says when the kids hit college, we get a K1200LT and then she'll ride (heated seats and a stereo...she's a smart lady ) Also, I'm 5'10 170 with 30" legs, but long arms (35")...yes, a knuckle-dragger

As I live in the mountains, I really want a lighter bike that will handle well on less than ideal roads. That's why I've shyed away from the big K1200RS, along with the hefty pricetag.

Our dealer selections are limited here, however Sacramento, CA is only a couple hours away and that's a big market. I'm watching the classifieds online in that market as well as Reno. I'm not in a big hurry, so we'll see what pops up. I missed out on a delightful XX that was available last month, so perhaps another good deal will appear.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Also, I'm 5'10 170 with 30" legs, but long arms (35")...yes, a knuckle-dragger.
170lbs!? Darn, why not a 600? I weight 200 (5/10" & 30/31" inseam) and have a blast on my 6R. I sometimes think 'bout trading it in on a 9R, but I stop and ask myself why? I use the 6R for 1 to 3-day rides, and stay in the mountains (crooked stuff). 'Course, it ain't too bad on the highway, but I usually ride with one hand on the throttle and sit up slightly, twisting my back to flex a bit. Darn if it ain't 'bout as comfortable as my Concours on the highway, as I catch a lot of air to take weight off my wrists (my Concours has the first-year only low bars). With 35" arms, dunno if you'd need any risers on a 6R/9R if you wanted a more upright position.

Don't knock it 'til ya try it! The 6R has more mid-range torque than the other 600s, so you don't have to wring it's guts to get it to move. I had an old '85 600 Ninja which you did!

BTW, I got $1000 off my 6R, but Kawasaki dropped the price $500 since I bought mine. I hear they give similar deals on the 9R.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Further clarification: I'll do little if any two-up. The wifey says when the kids hit college, we get a K1200LT and then she'll ride (heated seats and a stereo...she's a smart lady ) Also, I'm 5'10 170 with 30" legs, but long arms (35")...yes, a knuckle-dragger

As I live in the mountains, I really want a lighter bike that will handle well on less than ideal roads. That's why I've shyed away from the big K1200RS, along with the hefty pricetag.

Our dealer selections are limited here, however Sacramento, CA is only a couple hours away and that's a big market. I'm watching the classifieds online in that market as well as Reno. I'm not in a big hurry, so we'll see what pops up. I missed out on a delightful XX that was available last month, so perhaps another good deal will appear.
Sounds like you would be happy with a nice, used, low-mileage DUCATI 900SS that someone else has put all of the goodies on and had maintained at a reputable dealer. The 900SS has the air cooled 2valve motor which has much less maintenance requirements. I owned a '95 for 6years and it never failed me or needed repair. You should be able to get a carbureted one for less than $6k and a FI one for a few grand more...

OH!! look out! Here comes basicblur! Gotta go Tahoe, good luck!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 05:30 PM

Re: Help Me Pick My Next Bike

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tahoe
[B]

I was seriously considering spending the whole Harley wad on a new Ducati ST4S or Aprilia Futura, but figured that I could get a heck of a bike for a lot less $$$.

So here's my list of bike's I'm considering at this point. I know they'll need some tweeking to be just right for me as I lean more towards the sport-touring flavor of riding, rather than canyon carver. Ergo, helibars, dbl bubble windscreens, better seat and some kind of bags as needed.

Ducati's scare me a bit concerning parts and service, same with Aprilia, but I won't pass on a great deal if I find one. (ST2 is a likely candidate in my budget)

OK, so fire away with your opinions, suggestions, critiques...

Tahoe,

Don't rule out the Aprilia Falco. It is one stellar motorcycle and cheaper than the Futura. Your concern about servicing it is understandable, but they are very reliable. Check some of the posts on the Aprilia forum about this bike.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 06:29 PM

The top of my current wish list is the 9R. I've been down to the local dealer a few times to try it on and it fits pretty good. I'm shall we say large, 6'2" 250, but I like the way the Kawasaki feels. One day On the other hand nothing says Hooligan quite like the Triumph Speed Triple. I bet I could get in trouble on that without even moving!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 06:30 AM

Thumbs up FZ1 or ZX9R

I would recommend either a new ZX9R or Yamaha FZ1. They're both going to be in your price range brand new (well, maybe nearly new), and I think they would both fit the kind of bike your looking for. I would also recommend a ZX11 with heli-bars. I still get a tear in my eye when I remember my ZX11 being sold and ridden away by a stranger, I miss it still.

Be sure and let us know which you decide on.

Later,
Eric
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 07:22 AM

Go with the R1 it sounds like what you are looking for. Its compact and light with kickass power. It shouldn't be hard to find a 99-00 R1 in that price range.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 07:25 AM

9R or Busa, comfort with the ability to rip it up when the need arises.

I think the TL is a great bike but NOT a sport/tour ergonomic package from what I hear??????????

B(orring)MW

Daytona

And in closing: Busa, Busa, Busa

A guy dyno'd a nearly stock bus at 162 monday at the Buttonwillow track day Hammer4 and I went to!!!!!! And it's supposed to handle pretty damn well too.

Keep us posted on the sale and purchase Tahoe, good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode