Allstate has officially blacklisted sportbikes! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Honda Moderator

Allstate has officially blacklisted sportbikes!

Yup, Allstate has officially blacklisted sportbikes!

Looks like all the posts on the various forums about Allstate (& other companies) tripling or quadrupling rates on riders that hadn't done anything to deserve it (older, married, good record, no tickets or accidents) were just the beginning of things to come.

Due to a new memo they are 100% refusing to write new policies on all major sportbikes & some cruisers as well, even if you already have prior coverage.

Any insurance guys/gals on the board wanna talk about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:43 AM

How do you know this? Is it everywhere in the country or just certain locations?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Honda Moderator

I am in the process of buying an 02 CBR1100XX & just today was told that it can no longer be insured by Allstate, I am good friends with my agent & I went down to the office & had a look at the memo myself... The list is huge. I am assuming it is company wide, but don't have verification of that.

BTW I have had Allstate insurance for years, have an 02 Xterra, 02 F150, 00 RC51 & an 02 919 all insured with them & have a perfectly clean driving record, but they won't insure the new bike for me.

Looks like I might be holding off on a new bike purchase for a bit...

Last edited by Lord Duckhunter; 06-13-2002 at 08:54 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Duckhunter
I am in the process of buying an 02 CBR1100XX & just today was told that it can no longer be insured by Allstate, I am good friends with my agent & I went down to the office & had a look at the memo myself... The list is huge. I am assuming it is company wide, but don't have verification of that.

BTW I have had Allstate insurance for years, have an 02 Xterra, 02 F150, 00 RC51 & an 02 919 all insured with them & have a perfectly clean driving record, but they won't insure the new bike for me.

Looks like I might be holding off on a new bike purchase for a bit...
You should switch everything over to progressive and tell allstate to f off! I imagine they'd lose a big chunk of change from you.

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Honda Moderator

Been doing some research & found that the memo came from the regional office in Nashville that has jurisdiction over most of the South.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 11:46 AM

State Farm is raising rates too

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Duckhunter
Looks like all the posts on the various forums about Allstate (& other companies) tripling or quadrupling rates on riders that hadn't done anything to deserve it (older, married, good record, no tickets or accidents) were just the beginning of things to come.
State Farm just raised my VFR premium by $14 a year. Looks like I'll have to get a second job...er, a job.

Last edited by DataDan; 06-13-2002 at 11:50 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 04:05 PM

Thumbs down Here we go again!

This ain't the first time a blacklist has been around. Average age in here being what it is, folks probably don't remember it 'round '87 or so. There was a Senator who was an IIHS lackey who was pushing to have a number of bikes blacklisted/outlawed.

Iff'n you want to help and try to nip this in the bud, mebbe it's time to consider joining the AMA? If it wasn't for their intervention, many of you would probably not be enjoying yur hobby today!

Just something to think about...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 04:33 PM

This happened back in '89, I believe, in the Province of Ontario Canada & took some time to straighten out.
If I recall correctly there was only ONE insurance firm that would handle m/c insurance & then they put the halt on what they called "bullet-motorcycles".
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 05:01 AM

I really think something should be done about these blacklists and insane insurance rates. I consider myself a responsible rider, I have taken the MSF course and am on my second year riding a GS500. I am taking my time and learning how to ride properly before purchasing my first sportbike. I also wear full gear every time I ride. What allstate and the other insurance companies should realize is that it's the rider that is dangerous, not the bike! Instead of charging me $3500 per year for a new R6 (I have gotten quotes this high from several companies), stop insuring the dumbass newbies who buy brand new 600 supersports as first bikes and go stunting in t-shirts and shorts! It makes me so angry that f---ing squids make it impossible for me to afford insurance on my dream-bike ('01 R6) until I'm like, 25! Seriously, I think we should have a graduated system of liscencing like they have in europe. (i.e. get your 500cc endorsement, then your 600cc, etc.) Sorry for the rant.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 05:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

State Farm - So far so good

OK, you guys wanna cry? I pay $300 a year for full coverage on the R1. Yeah I know, I can't believe it either... R1s are known for exploding when they hit the ground. When they got dropped at the track they just disintegrate!! Ssssssssssshhh!!! Don't tell those insurance guys - I think they think the R1 is a scooter

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode