wiped out already - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy wiped out already

hey guys, so gots me a 84 cb750f, well it sure didn't take me long to lay it down. I had been riding it for several days and feeling pretty good about it, so I went for a bit of a cruise. went about 30 miles when it started to rain, rode in the rain for another 7-8 miles, then stopped somewhere to say hi to someone. well leaving the parking lot I must have let the clutch out to fast, or maybe hit some oil or something, the back wheel went out and I went over.

the damage list to me:
1 sprand wrist
1 fractured wrist
3 sprand fingers
2 bruised knees
several massive cuts

now heres what really hurts, the damage to the gear and bike:
bent fender bracket(easily fixed)
broken headlight assembly
broken turn signals
a broken clutch cover
fried relays
lightly scratched brand new vr-1 helmet
nice hole in my brand new joe rocket ballistic mesh jacket

nothing to major, the helet can be touched up and buffed, I don't know what to do with the jacket, its so cool looking, I was thinking about contacting the company and seeing if they will send me a patch of material or something.
about the bike, it would not star so I took it to my local shop, they worked on it, replaced some wies to get it running, but they say it needs alot of work with he melted relays. my question it if the replaced the wires correctly( I know they did, very honest people) and it runs and functions correctly then why would I still need to replace the relays? I haven't gotten my shop manual yet, so I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of a bike, like what is a stator? and can I run it for now without a clutch cover? thanks guys. I'm not embarrased about this. it had to happen, everyone crashes there first bike right? I'm not done by a long shot, going done my thought was no not my bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Retired Moderator

Unhappy

Really sorry to hear this news SilentNEKO.

Well I suppose that your rear tyre just slipped on the wet and took you by surprise.

I think you should worry more about the fractured wrist than for anything else really. I mean, you should take care while it's healing.
The bikes can always be fixed, it's the humans that are irreplacable!
For the bike, I don't understand exactly what you mean 'fried relays' . Do you mean the flasher relay, or is there a relay for the headlight on your bike, this is usually used when the original wattage is increased
You certainly can't ride it with a broken clutch cover (right side) as you will loose all the oil in a few seconds!! Do you mean the smaller round cover for the ignition pick up? If it's that, there is no oil in there and you can probably ride it, but if you find yourself in wet conditions, you can get water in which will corrode important parts.
Also you should probably replace your helmet, it's designed for one impact only.
I hope you and your bike heel fast, so you can enjoy your ride once more

Aris

Last edited by ariszr7; 06-13-2002 at 08:05 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:44 AM

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Yeah, most people will drop their bike at some point. I've "customized" the Bandit a bit myself. Don't know much about your electrical questions, but I wouldn't ride without the clutch cover. If you hit the ground with the helmet I would replace it, your head is worth alot more than the price of a new one. Given the year of your bike you may be able to get some used replacement parts. I know there is a salvage yard in Sanford called Jacks Cycle Salvage. I've never been there but I hear he deals with alot of older Hondas.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:53 AM

Bummer, that rain will kill you. Don't forget the rain also lifts to the surface all the oil that's on the road.

As for the helmet. It did it's job, you didn't get a concussion or worse. Let the lid retire, leave it somewhere where you can use it to impress/ humor you friends. ( or give it to someone you don't like )
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:55 AM

As much as it stinks, you should get a new lid. All manufacturers warn that once a helmet has had an impact it may have unseen/internal damage or stress that will lessen its ability protect your noggin again.

Hope you get better soon.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the response guys, first about the skull cap, It didn't really hit the ground, there are just a few minor scratches from when it I think it may have skipped a little, believe me if it did have any real impact it would be in the trash. actually I dropped it when I took it off so I'm, not sure if thats what caused the scratches, but I will be taking it to the dealer so they can look at it, my hands will heal just fine, so I'm not worried. ok the bike, I'm not sure what they were talking about when they said relays. they said they were under the seat? I'll have to talk to him today. as for that cover, there was no oil when it cracked. which is why I am asking, it is on the right side of the engine, i don't know? happy riding. I'll be back soon
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 11:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Re: wiped out already

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
well leaving the parking lot I must have let the clutch out to fast, or maybe hit some oil or something, the back wheel went out and I went over.

the damage list to me:
1 sprand wrist
1 fractured wrist
3 sprand fingers
2 bruised knees
several massive cuts
Sorry to hear it man, but damn, you did all that leaving a parking lot? I can see the hand and knee injuries, but how did you end up with the "massive cuts"

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 01:10 PM

UNFORTUNATELY coming out of parking lots, fuel stations, etc., are common places for riders to loose the bike in 1st cog due to oil, bits of gravel/sand & often just as one give the 'wick' of a turn up. In your case the road was also wet.
Heal up & then do some patching to the bike ---- you have been given a good tip of where you can pick up possibly a 'used' clutch cover & possibly other bits & pieces.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

ok, well its wasn't the clutch cover, it was the stator cover, the problem is my whole stator now need to be replaced, see a chunk of metal landed inside and well you can gess the rest, fellow motorheads I need your help. I found a few stators on ebay for cheap, but not for my model and year, I need to know what other years will fit, or what other models used the same one. I found a 82 nighthawk 750 stator and cover, will it work? help please.

oh and the massive cuts came from the 10 foot slide across the pavement
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

is there another forum I could post this question to get faster answers? help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode