First Mishap! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

First Mishap!

Folks,

I just had my first mishap on my 98 ZX7R!!!
After giving my bike an excellent washdown, I started the process of locking down my bike and putting the cover over it. Unfortunately, this time, I guess I wasn't as quite as careful as I should have been when putting the cover on. As I was struggling w/ getting the bike cover over the bike, I must have yanked on it forward and caused the bike to lunge a forward a bit enough to cause the bike's kickstand to give way. You can imagine I was dreading to take off the partially covered bike. Fortunately, it could have been worse. The damage was mainly to the left side fairing. I consulted a local Kawi shop and they quoted over $400 for just that left piece of fairing! Unfortunately for me, I have a $750 deductible. Which leads me to ask, what are people's strategy on the insurance and deductible issue. Obviously, the higher the deductible the less the premium. But, I'm wondering if I should have gotten a smaller deductible... Should I decrease my deductible or should I keep it at $750? What are you deductibles and the reasoning behind it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 08:13 PM

Re: First Mishap!

Quote:
Originally posted by kaneda
Folks,

I just had my first mishap on my 98 ZX7R!!!
After giving my bike an excellent washdown, I started the process of locking down my bike and putting the cover over it. Unfortunately, this time, I guess I wasn't as quite as careful as I should have been when putting the cover on. As I was struggling w/ getting the bike cover over the bike, I must have yanked on it forward and caused the bike to lunge a forward a bit enough to cause the bike's kickstand to give way. You can imagine I was dreading to take off the partially covered bike. Fortunately, it could have been worse. The damage was mainly to the left side fairing. I consulted a local Kawi shop and they quoted over $400 for just that left piece of fairing! Unfortunately for me, I have a $750 deductible. Which leads me to ask, what are people's strategy on the insurance and deductible issue. Obviously, the higher the deductible the less the premium. But, I'm wondering if I should have gotten a smaller deductible... Should I decrease my deductible or should I keep it at $750? What are you deductibles and the reasoning behind it?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear about your mishap..As far as Insurance goes..I have a $250.00 deductable.My rates are under $400.00 per yr. so a higher deductable means nada to me. What I would do is..look for a used, but in good cond. fairing..check on e-bay..and all the classifides on this board..you'll wind up paying way less..Oh..and invest in some Frame Savers/sliders..they can save ya lots of $$$$ and grief..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 09:34 PM

Sit down and do some simple math. Figure out how much in premiums a low deductible like $100 will cost you and compare it with the rates you have now. You might find that $500 or $600 out of pocket to fix a dropped bike to be cheaper over a year than the lower deductible. Plus just one claim can really screw with your rates. About the only way I would make a claim is for a total loss.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hammer. I will look into seeing if I can get a hold of a "good" replace fairing for my bike.

KVPZX7R - I thought about the math. Hind sight is always 20/20. Yeah, you're right, it might be nice to carry around a lower deductible, but that increase in monthly premium could be money in your account for the minor mishaps. I suppose if you're the lucky type who will almost always never get into these minor nuisances, then it would be better to have the highest deductible allowable w/ a lower premium. But, if you're the type that will get into minor mishaps frequently, then having the lower or lowest deductible allowable would be best, even if you have to pay a higher premium. But, then again, the latter person, if it happens enough will most likely see an increase in their premium and that difference in premium paid could have been acted as a fund for these minor mishaps instead of the the insurers' revenue. I suppose in conclusion, it is best to have as high a deductible as one can afford and try to beat the odds.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 05:59 AM

What deductable, I only carry liability since my full cov. quotes are high ~1500 vs 130 for liability. If I were to claim ~1400 every year my rates would skyrocket so it doesn't make any sense to get F/C.

IMHO, keep the scratched fairing and don't worry about it. Every time I repair a fairing the bike always falls to that side next time anyway!!!!

In fact, just take a ball peen hammer to every piece of plastic and then no one will steal it either!! Works for me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 10:27 AM
UFO

Since the $$ stuff has been covered here's a little tip for never having to deal with this again.

1) ALWAYS leave your bike in gear while parked.
2) ALWAYS push the bike forward removing all driveline lash before putting kickstand down. The bike then cannot move forward, only backwards against the kickstand.
3) Your bike will never fall over again (unless someone kicks it over)...I have 20 years of evidence as proof.

You're welcome.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 02:08 PM

SOUNDS like your bike was in NEUTRAL--

--when pulling on the cover, but simply guessing. Still that is a NO NO.
Like some others I only carry liability insurance as I must cover a truck & two m/cs. Admittely I did obtain Fire & Thieft on my '00 929 at $500.00 deductable.
If either bike obtains marks on them I will look upon those scars proof of riding rather then for looks.
As one member pointed out it ALSO distracts others from wanting to steal a scuffed up bike!!!!!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 07:30 AM

I think kvpZX9R has a good point. Insurance companies now look for any reason to raise your premiums. I would think that keeping your claims history clean is more important than finding 400 buckaroos. Also consider a loan from your bank.

I called by bank when I wanted some greens to make a purchase. They gave me 2500 over the phone, in my account the next day, and at 9.9%. Keep in mind this is a no collateral loan. After my 2 yrs of 115 dollar payments I will have only payed them 276 dollars interest. I say thats not bad considering how long it would have taken to save the money, or the credit card costs for the same price.

Insurance guys are thieves...
Case in point, some good drivers still settle for less than great rates simply based on a Credit Report. Granted I CAN see the point of good credit and its relation to responsibility, but does that first time bike owner with great credit really have a less chance of crashing? Doubtful I say!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode