Dilemma in getting a first bike... NEED HELP FAST! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Question Dilemma in getting a first bike... NEED HELP FAST!

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a used Kawasaki EX500. It's a 1987 with 26,000 miles. I figured that would be ok
(after all, I'm going to give the bike a good look over and test ride), but one of the mechanics (as well as the
service manager) at the shop at which I work say that 26,000 is too much for an ex500 and that 1987 is too old.
When proposing a bunch of ideas to change their minds, older cars with high mileage came up. They said that it
works the same way. However, my car (an 88' Plymouth Sundance) has 95,000 miles on it, it has in no way been
driven with a lot of care (though I do take care of it well), and it's still reliable and pulls strongly.

Being mechanics, I respect their opinions, but on most other levels, I don't think they're the sharpest minds on
the planet. I really don't know what to think, and I think I'm starting to go crazy (I've been talking to myself a lot
lately).

So what would you do?

Also, the bike supposedly has a new seat, windshield, and grips, as well as Cobra F1R slip-ons and jetted carbs.
It's got rearsets on it as well. The guy selling it also told me that he and his friend (who is a mechanic) went over
the entire bike and tuned it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 02:25 PM
Founder

#1 How much is he asking for the bike?

#2 Ask to take the bike to a mech of your choice before you purchase the bike. It might cost ya $50-$75 for a good mech to go over the bike, but can save you a lot of headaches in the long run. If the guy refuses to let you have the bike checked out then I'd say it might have some problems he is not letting you know about. I would never buy a used bike without having my mech check it over first.

26,000 miles is high for an EX500 so you need to be a little more careful than normal. But if the bike has been taken care of (and the price is right) then I would say go for it. And EX500 makes a great first bike.

And don't let the seller bullshit you, and 87 EX500 with 26,000 miles is going to be very hard to sell with everyone wanting to have the latest and greatest.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Robert; 06-08-2002 at 02:30 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

He's asking $1000

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 03:57 PM

sooollldd LOL sound like a good deal, if you drop it nothing lost,your gear will cost more
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 04:56 PM

Just make sure an experience m/cist takes a darn close look at it or preferably a look by a m/c mechanic.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 08:22 PM

Dosen't sound bad. Definately check out things like wheel bearings, brakes and cables and such. If everything checks out, go for it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 05:35 PM

Smile First EX500

I bought an 89 EX500 as a first bike and it ran great. It had about 16,000 miles which is less than the one you are looking at, though. It ran perfect and pulled very strong. I think the engines in these bikes are pretty durable. It's a good idea to have a knowledgable person look over the bike but as long as nothing is bent I think that it should be ok. $1000 is a good price if the bike doesn't have any crash damage. EX500s have a fairly strong clutch and transmission compared to the power the engine can make. Mine had Cobra F1s as well and I was very pleased with the sound. A lot of people race EX500s; with rearset pegs I would inquire if the bike has had track time. Other than that I think you are ok.

Last edited by viffer750; 06-09-2002 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode