lane spliting in traffic - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

lane spliting in traffic

I think its legal here in WA, however you must use your blinker when crossing the turtles.(according to a friend of mine thats a cop)Here in WA the cagers get their roadrage up when you do this,In CA it seems to be acceptable what about other states and cops PLEASE chime in.

One time a cager bumped me on purpose and at the same time, I parked it and went to his window and asked him what the hell he thought he was doing, "just being rude like you,want me to get out of my car and show you more?"I just told him I was wearing protective gear and a helmit,your not,so bring it. He apologized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 02:55 PM

Re: lane spliting in traffic

Quote:
Originally posted by wedge
I parked it and went to his window and asked him what the hell he thought he was doing, "just being rude like you,want me to get out of my car and show you more?"I just told him I was wearing protective gear and a helmit,your not,so bring it. He apologized.
Haha... thats great.

Kyle
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 07:49 PM

According to the CA 1999 Motorcycle Driver Handbook "Sharing lanes is not illegal in CA. However, in many driving situations, it can be unsafe to share a lane with another vehicle. In the interest of motorcycle safety, vehicle drivers should not share lanes with motorcycles and motorcycle riders should not share lanes with vehicles." (Don't know if anything has changed since '99, but I doubt it.)

The handbook goes on to tell how to *avoid* sharing lanes. Don't ride between rows of slow moving vehicles. Don't try to squeeze past a stopped car in the same lane. Ride in the center of your lane to discourage other drivers from trying to share your lane.

Somewhat schizophrenic? I've never heard of anyone being cited for this unless they were being totally outrageous and got cited for reckless driving or similar.

Last edited by RayO; 06-07-2002 at 07:53 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 11:26 PM

lane splitting

Hey Wedge! I don't think lane splitting is legal here in Indiana. I've done it a few times-- to different effects. First time was on my first bike-- '89 Suzuki GS500. Was being chased by 4 redneck assholes in an IROC Z.. guess they didn't like the "college boy on a rice burner!" There were 5 Semi trucks in front of me- 3 in the right lane, 2 in the left-- and I just squirted up the middle! I've gone to the head of the line at stoplights a few times.. but I get a lot of "Hey A**hole!!" and "What the f*cks!" yelled at me. The last time I did it was earlier this Spring. Stopped at a red light coming out of the grocery store.. Ford F-150 4x4 in front of me-- no turn signal-- I'm turning right. So I go to the inside and wait for a break in traffic. Surprise!! Dingleberry turns right at the same time and damn near puts me in a drainage ditch--- my own fault for thinking, "well gee.. he's over to the center of the lane, I guess he's just gonna go straight!" Anymore, I figure 'screw it.' I might have to wait in traffic for a couple extra minutes, but I'm not gonna get run over, slammed with an opened door, or shot!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 04:03 PM

It is illegal in Pennsylvania.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 06:30 PM

Not sure if itts illegal in Oz...I guess I do it about 3 times a day..most of the cars don't give a shit. Unless of course you rub mirrors
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 02:37 PM

Here in Oklahoma, I got a ticket and had to go to court for lane splitting. The ticket said "illegal use of lane"

Needless to say, the judge tried to fine me $150. So I talked to the prosecutor (who rides too), and he corrected the judge and had the ticket dismissed. The judge even stated (you were right, the police were wrong) ha ha!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 08:12 PM

Well according to the MSF course lane splitting is only legal in CA. I am in AZ and I have done it a couple of times, only when traffic was stopped or it was required for "other reasons".
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:37 PM

First, lane splitting is illegal here in Georgia. But, riding in a city with more cars per person than any other in the world puts lane splitting in the realm of survival techniques.

Being at the back of a pack of cars that just went from 90 to 0mph on the interstate is just a bad place to be!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 06:18 PM

Okay... I'll probably get jumped all over for THIS one. Am I missing something? I'm new pretty much and will be the first to admit I know very little compared to most in here, and feel like I keep a pretty open mind on things. Give me some feedback on why this is a "good" practice please. Not trying to start a war... just truly think I'm missing something.

I always get pretty ticked off when cagers don't treat me with same respect and courtesy as another vehicle, but.... when I see someone doing such things and pissing off the ones on cages, I can see why sometimes they don't like "us".

I use to ride (waaaay back in college) with a buddy that kept a fistfull of ball bearings in his jacket and if a cager tailed him way too close and wouldn't back off, or if someone cut him off close or other various "infractions", he'd just get in front of them (if he wasn't already) and slip his hand in.... and gently toss 'em up and take off..... after witnessing this once.... I no longer rode when he was along. The worst part was he was continually splitting lanes, darting out in front of people, cutting over just missing cars, etc... I didn't understand his single sided vision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode