The Addiction Theory - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

The Addiction Theory

Over the years my friends and I have always made the comparison of sport biking to an addiction. As time went on we found out we weren't really far from the truth. Often the body reacts to the situations we sport bike riders expose ourselves to in a manner similiar to "fight or flight". In other words, the mind recognizes that the body is in danger and therefore releases large amounts of adrenaline and dopamine. Both of the chemicals are proven to be addictive even though the are naturally present in the body.

With this revealed, it seems to me that I have built quite a tolerance to these releases or perhaps my mind has learned that it is not in the danger it thinks it's in. Now to get the same rush a simple outing would have given me years ago, I find myself riding wheelies at sickening speeds, controlling slides, anything extreme enough to provoke a reaction.

Sad to say this seems have completely ruined cruising around with local riders. I just get so bored so fast. Even leading and waiting at stops seems to be a drag.

Like many real-life addictions, I've found that my potentially destructive taste has isolated me. I'm truly not bothered by the fact the ride alone, I've gotten used to it. When I ride I find all I really do is practice and nothing else. Forget taking in sceenery.

Can you relate?

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Founder

Get on the track old man, it's a whole new world.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I'll be at Summit Point WV this Sunday

I was trying not to mention track days which are like crack!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
or s3sportbikes.com

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:34 AM

Funny how different people get different things out of riding. For me, it's the never ending focus of mind, evaluate, decide, & act, no time right now to worry about your boss, or your job, or anything else not directly related to keeping yourself alive. I also find practicing self discipline in controlling the desire to twist & hold, and the desire to express your anger at people who try to kill you with negligence to be rewarding in everyday life. I do appreciate the scenery, the feel of the wind, and the sensation of flying, at least until that mood comes on, and I knock back a couple of gears and lay down on the tank.....and I stay away from the track, not because it's a bad thing, but because I know that if I was on a track I'd just push harder & harder until I crashed!! On the street, I have reached the limit of speed & cornering that I feel comfortable with, and now I try for smoothness more so than that extra mph or extra degree off vertical.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:13 PM

Question

Chris, I am by no means as experienced as you and I find myself feeling the same way. But because I have little experience, it worries me that I am on the fast-track to hurting myself. It also makes me feel like I am becoming a squid.

When I first bought my bike I was scared to death of it. Now I find myself doing stupid dangerous things just to get that rush. I feel like I should get a bigger bike just so I be scared of it again.

Is that the dumbest thing you have ever heard (buy a faster bike so I will slow down and be more careful) or have you ever felt that way?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by sjn2560
Chris, I am by no means as experienced as you and I find myself feeling the same way. But because I have little experience, it worries me that I am on the fast-track to hurting myself. It also makes me feel like I am becoming a squid.

When I first bought my bike I was scared to death of it. Now I find myself doing stupid dangerous things just to get that rush. I feel like I should get a bigger bike just so I be scared of it again.

Is that the dumbest thing you have ever heard (buy a faster bike so I will slow down and be more careful) or have you ever felt that way?
Yes, actually - I felt the same way going from the R6 to the R1 but trust me it doesn't work And anyway I don't really feel like it's a good idea to be scared of a bike - it's more so a matter of respect because they all can kill ya.

I've never dropped the R1 moving but because I'm small (5' 6", 130lbs) I've had it get away from me once or twice. I did manage to demolish myself and my 250 several times when I was younger because I didn't respect it. I'm signifigantly more extreme now than I was back then but I've learned two things that to me some it all up. There is a place and a time for all kinds of riding - fast in the fast places, slow in the slow places - and respect your bike always.

or s3sportbikes.com

Last edited by chris_y2k_r1; 06-05-2002 at 12:23 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 06:25 PM

I'd have to agree with ya Chris..riding on the street for me isn't all that much fun anymore..track days will do that to ya.. But as you say, the adrenalin rush takes way more to get it going, and for me,, that's to big of a risk to take..on the street that is..

So...as Robert stated..get thy self to thee nearest track..until then..you haven't a clue as to what the meaning of the word Addiction really is.. Oh..and forget about that new dishwasher ya need..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
Oh..and forget about that new dishwasher ya need..
Oh, I'm realizing this is true...

"Sorry Honey but do you know how many tires, brake pads and track days I can get for that ring!?"

or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode