Critter encounters - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Critter encounters

I was riding to school last night when a suicidal mockingbird divebombed my front wheel! He just came out of nowhere and was so close I think I hit his tail. I've also encountered this deathwish in squirrels. Another time I had a duck fly within a foot of my head. Still another mornings ride found a dog guarding the apex of one of my favorite corners(missed him but it was close). Has anyone else had close calls with animals or am I just a critter magnet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 08:56 AM
Founder

I hit a cat once, had furr all over the bottom of my lower.

Oh... you said "close calls"......

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 09:07 AM

Talking

I bought a bike from a guy who had lightly crashed it. It was one of those kool kawasaki 750 twins. Anyway, the story was that he was blasting along and a dog ran out in front of him. He hit the dog, which caused to pooch to eject a huge dump that splattered all over this guy's visor and caused him to crash. ewwww.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:23 AM

I have a small contribution to the conversation but my REAL reason for writing was to say that Lord Tim is totally sweet and if you don't think so, better watch out or he will flip out and cut all your heads off! Ninja's rule...

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

Anyway, I haven't hit any critters on the moto yet but I have hit a slough of different things in my old bicycle racing days. T-boned a dog once and ripped my front wheel off. That sucked. Others have tried to bite my bike and sent reeling off into the under brush. Squirrels might not be as dangerous to a moto but to an 18 lb bicycle they make quite an impact.

-Kemosabe
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:05 PM

Would suggest you do not try out a deer---

----- for they really do mess up a bike & the rider.
Dogs are also a bummer & can take you down fast, as you automatically try to avoid them & so comes the crash.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:32 PM

Since I have been riding (more years than I want to say), I have had the following encounters:

Hits:

1 dog, medium sized, reduced to somewhat smaller (or at least much less active) after the collision. This resulted in one thoroughly totalled Yamaha RD400.
1 large Bluejay...it collided squarely with the center of my chest while I was travelling at about 70 mph, removing all ability to breathe (in me, the bird was pretty well toast too, though). Did not crash, but I don't know how I kept from it.
1 Rabbit, medium sized, cottontail...did not crash, but resulted in a fairly exciting ride for a few seconds.
2 Cats (within 2 weeks of each other in the same stretch of road)...small to medium in size...did not kill either because I did not hit them squarely, just sent them sliding in a sort of rotating fashion across the road, legs outstretched...no crashes.
1 VERY large, VERY fat Easern Diamondback rattlesnake..I didn't crash and I didn't kill him but man, was he pissed.

Near misses:

2 Deer...one large buck and one doe. Those things are FAST.
1 Cow...this animal gave me a very dirty look, even though I missed her. They can be quite sarcastic.
Numerous other dogs, cats and squirrels.
1 large box turtle...he was right in my line at the apex of high speed corner...I just barely missed him.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 03:06 PM

Squirrels definately have a deathwish, and I don't move for them either!

2 dead ones to date, one close encounter with one of them florida turtles that are endangered that love to cross busy streets. Do note, you'd be better off financially wrecking the bike avoiding one then not wrecking and hitting it and having the police see it.

Not as bad as one of my buds... he hit some wet leaves a few weeks ago, went offroad and it a tree. He broke the tree, and when the police arrived, they gave him a ticket for $5000 for damaging the tree, because it was some kind of historical significance
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:50 PM

Well I've only hit one bird so far..
Had close calls with a rabbit, a cow and a kangaroo.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:59 PM

Pigeon @ 100+ mph. Thought I was dead & the only thing that saved me from crashing was it was on a straight section & I saw it a split second before it hit me & I braced for the hit. It was with another bird on the side of the road & tried to fly away after it's buddy. As it passed in front of me it came up over my windshield, kinda glancing off it before it hit me. For such a small, soft little bird it left a large bruise right above my sternum & knocked the wind out of me. I was wearing a heavy leather jacket with a sweater underneath.
I hate pigeons
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Guess I'm not alone after all! One would think that it would be damn near impossible to hit a bird, but they seem to be well represented. Another interesting incident I had with a bird was an Osprey. He had been fishing in a nearby lake with much success. He flew about 5 or 6 feet directly above me. This was close enough to see the Bluegill wriggling in his talons! Cool! I remember thinking...I hope he don't drop that fish in my lap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode