Stupid Question: How do I Jumpstart? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Stupid Question: How do I Jumpstart?

Can I use a car to jumpstart my bike? Excuse my ignorance, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't mess anything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 09:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
you can. give put the jumpers on, leave the car off.

you can be smarter yet and by a motorcycle charger and not have to worry about it.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 10:38 AM

Yes, just don't have the car running, like tony stated. The car's charging system makes for a very noisy electrical system that's not gonna make your bike very happy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 10:45 AM

Now that got me curious. What sort of signal are you talking about lime and why would it be different than a bikes alternator. dont they basically work the same way? And how would it affect a bike? Would it hurt the voltage reg, electronic ignition or what?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 05:36 PM

the charging system in cars lets alot of noise into the electrical system, which if you've ever installed an audio amp in a car you will know this is why you don't run the audio cables alongside the power cables; you will pick up the electrical noise in frequescy directly related to engine rpm.

In bikes, the output of the stator is much less than that of a car's alternator, which in a running car is more than enough to run all your electrical systems, the engine, charge the battery, and then some in the car.

Bikes not only regulate the output of the generator to a cleaner output, but the much more marginal output of it at idle speeds allows the battery to act as a filter for most of this, and when jump starting from a running vehicle, the drain caused by the bike isn't enough to cause the car's battery to act as a filter as the bike battery would, and introduces alot of noise. The biggest problem you will see will be unwillingness to keep running. By adding more load to the electrical system, you can reduce the noise and lessen its effects on the operation of the bike (highbeams, brake lights, blinkers).

Generally when you jump start a bike you want to have the external power source connected only long enough that the bike will remain running on its own. After you have it running you will want to keep the rpms above idle for a while to allow the battery to regain some charge (if the battery was drained and the charging system is working, and the battery is still ok)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 05:05 PM

why not bypass all that bs with jumper cables and just push start the bike? as long as the battery is semi good and hasn't been totally and completely drained a couple of times it should be able to run while keeping the rpm's above idle.

i had a reg go bad on my bike which had drained the bat a couple of times and i was still able to push start it with no probs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode