I need some unbiased and biased opinions of a 91 ZX7. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I need some unbiased and biased opinions of a 91 ZX7.

Everybody who rides a Kawi says they are the best bike out. I hear that they are a very good street bike, ie, nice flat torque curve, really stable in mid corner, and so forth. I also hear that they are pig heavy. I've been trying to do as much research as possible, but I can't seem to find much written about them on the net.

I've never ridden a Kawi before, so I'm looking for some opinions on them. Ie, are they really that heavy, or do they really feel that heavy? How is the tranny on those bikes? Reliability, and things to watch out for? Is really wortha s much they still sell for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 07:29 PM

Arrow

Is this a ZX7R or a ZX7RR??, the RRs are rarer and more race track equiped/ready...
From what I can tell you,but,keep in mind they are not cutting edge like the current crop of sport bikes, these are good machines.
Yes heavier than the "now" version,but, a great motor,great brakes and handling.
Not so nice ergos,if that is a concern,(but,neither are GSXRs either)
Do you have one you are considering buying,hence your question?? If so ask for service records,if they are available. If you are real rich,(ha ha), you could have a Kawi shop check it over for ya....

JIM
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

He he.

I should have phrased my question a little better. ZX7, not the RR. I don't have the money for that.

I've owned an 89 FZR 400, and a 600. Also had an 89 Gixxer Slingshot. I ride my brother's 85 Hybrid GSXR quite often currently.

I meant in comparision to the bikes of that generation. I'm not rich.

Yes, I am looking to buy one.

Thanks for your reply, any more opinions?

ronnie

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 06:25 AM

I have several friends who own them...they're good bikes, better than most of the people who will get on them. The biggest difference between them & the latest & greatest is that the Suzi is better than virtually everyone who gets on it.
Kaw builds road bikes. That same wieght which hurts it on the track helps in a lot of everyday riding situations.
If you want to go to the track, get a Suzi. If you want to ride on the street, the ZX7 will suit you fine. And if you have a friend who rides one of the newest models, and consistently get through the corners faster, it's most likely because he's a better rider, not because he has a newer bike.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 07:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i think the 91 zx7 is probably much better than most people who get on it as well.

they are one of the better looking bikes ever made. the 93 zx7 is purtier though.

but who cares if it's pretty or not. usually kawi gripes. positive neutral finder, suspension needs sorting.

they don't rev as fast as a more modern 750/liter bike, but they don't feel like a rocket. they're not the most comfortable thing, but neither is an fzr400.

i didn't own one, just drooled on them(rode a few). compared to the 91 gsx-r750, it's really a toss up. i remember the magazines saying the gsxr would beat it on the track. but it's probably a much better streetbike today because they seem more durable.

i would suggest finding one with a jet kit. all early 90's bikes need them.

sorry, i am biased, i do really like them.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies.

One question, what exactly is the positive neutral finder in the Kawi's?

I'm going to check her out tonight, we'll see, I jsut may buy another Sl;ingshot instead.

Any more? Bring the biased ones on! I need to be swayed to buy this bike.

thanks, ronnie
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 02:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
positive neutral finder is this dumbass thing that kawi's have to make it easier to engage neutral. the downside is that it is also MUCH easier to engage neutral during the shift from first to second.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 05:57 AM

The neutral finder works well as long as the bike has come to a complete stop prior to attempting to engage neutral. I've been riding Kaws for more than 20 years, and I never had a problem going from 1 - 2. When I've ridden friends bikes that didn't have it, finding neutral was a little harder.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:36 AM
UFO

Not that my input will matter since the decision seems to be made, but here goes.

Owned a '93 candywine red ZX-7 for about 9 months. Gorgeous bike, but....the ZX-7 is not a good "streetbike." A decent "sportbike" or something for the track, yes. I found the bike to be uncomfortable as hell and peaky as hell. It handled good and was fast enough (if you were ringing the crap out of it), but gawd...20 minutes on it was torture. If that's what you like to ride on the street, that's cool. But you can find equivalent and much better performance with better ergos in many other bikes, including the ZX-9.

Out of the 9 bikes I've owned, I would rate the ZX-7 as the worst of the bunch for street riding. If I was using it for track purposes, sure.

My worthless 2 cents.

Last edited by UFO; 06-05-2002 at 11:42 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

A 91 ZX 7, first thought... a frikkin tank. Those things are heavy.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode