single? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

single?

are there any advantages to have ing a bike with only one cylinder , if not what are the problems with it, and how does it compair to a v-twin or 4 banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 09:49 AM

With a single...

... if you loose one cylinder, your F***ed!

I've ridden a Ducati that was only firing on one cylinder and it would easily get you home/to help. Come to think of it, it ran about as well as a 'healthy' Ducati does anyway!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

what I'm wondering is how the power would match up to a v-twin- or a 4 banger. is it going to run like a moped, or could it be a little gp bike one day? I know its reliable, and rebuilds must be dirt cheap because hey, theres only one damn cylinder. what are the downsides, jokes aside

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 12:26 PM

Singles, in your thinking of a cafe racer---

---are out. Even a V-twin is not that great unless you are looking for torque.The fours offer a hot trotting engine comared to the rest.
Just look at what the sidecar rigs (requiring torque AND power) are using & it is the 600 fours due to size under rules in the TT & FIM, but some Americans are running larger units as well for sidcar rigs including some real funky desert races with the strong leading link f/suspension to same being used by some of the on the hwy sidecar units.
The single & the V-twin gives one good flywheel torque but not the revs..
When I was building cafe-racers I went basically for vertical twins like Triumph, Norton, & BSA of the time though we had a lot of good singles & used them also as some loved the sound of the single like BSA Gold Star, & Velocette.
Had the present day fours been around this would have been my aim --yes there was the Ariel Square Four, but never used it as it was really a sidecar m/c & the engine could not be trusted.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 04:06 PM

Yes there are many advantages of running a thumper (single cylinder). The two major advantages are weight and reciprocating mass. The reason that the 1000cc fours will never handle like a 600cc four even though they are the same weight is because of the reciprocating mass of the crankshaft. It's the same reason that lighter wheels are easier to trun..ie. gyroscopic effect. There are many guys out there racing SRX600 singles in more modern chasis' and they certainly handle well. They will flick from side to side very quickly. The have a good deal of torque but are realatively slow.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
what I'm wondering is how the power would match up to a v-twin- or a 4 banger. what are the downsides, jokes aside

Jokes aside takes all the fun out of it

Seriously though I've recently started thinking about a supermotard style of bike with a strong street emphasis. I saw one site that had a CR500 that had turn signals, lights etc. It looked street legal & like it could be alot of fun. I can't recall the name of the site but I found it by typing in the word "supermotard" in the search bar of AOL & found some really cool looking bikes.
If you want serious power though you're going to need a multi-cylinder bike.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Retired Moderator

Thumpers are cool!

Hi SilentNEKO,

I own a 1983 Yamaha SR500 that I was using everyday for 10 years and really love it.
I really enjoy riding it (restored now) and love the thump thump sound.
The advantages are simple design, easy maintenance, low costs generally, great torque fro low revs.
The drawbacks are low power output, low rev limit, thy run out of steam on the highways.
There are many moderrn thumper in the market these days, ranging from the F650 BMWwhic is intented for new riders and is fashionable in Europe, to the Supermoto versions of Enduro bikes (KTM, Husqy, Husaberg). These give good power and are the BEST for fun, but are expensive, vibrate like hell and require a lot of maintenance as they are racing engines really.

As you don't have a bike at the moment, maybe an SR500 would be ideal for you as you can get one cheap and customize it as much as you like. The kick start is a problem for many people though, check that you can handle it first!
There are many firms specializing on these bikes, and they have become cult bikes!
Take a look at this thread and a pic I posted sometime ago.
https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...0&pagenumber=2

Aris
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

ok guys, thanks for the replys, so let me see if I got it, its got great torque, but thats it. well the reason I asked is I found an 85 honda ascot ft500. heres a picture:

I know its shaft driven, but it looks like everything around here is. could this be a fun little racer, does anyone have any websites on it. it has a 6-speed so that will help with the speed. I saw one that looked like someone put ninja body work on it, it was funky.

the guy is asking $999, new fork seals, new rear tire, new battery, runs great. what do you guys think, is it worth it. oh do they get good gas mileage?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 06:20 AM
Retired Moderator

Thumbs down FT500

Hi again,

The FT500 is NOT shaft driven, and it's not a good bike IMHO.
It had serious reliability problems from new, and I still remember the comment next to it in BIKE magazine back then.
It was 'Buy an SR500 instead'.
There is no kick start, only electric start, but it was failing almost immediately because of a faulty design (a plastic sprocket!) and the only option was to push start it!
The engine came from the XL500R and it's OK generally except for oil leaks from the head to head cover and cracked heads around the spark plug area. There is no gasket there, the cover acts as the upper clamp for the camshaft. Th ethreads strip by themselves afdter the head cover is removed.
I know all this info because I had a CB250 RS and the engines had the same design and the same problems.
Plus it's ugly

I suggest you look for a Yamaha SR500 or a Honda GB500 , if you decide to go for a thumper, it's much better engineered, and lasts for ever. The FT falls apart almost immediately, and it isn't faster although it has a 4 valve head.
If you insist on byuing it, check that the previou sowner has installed a kick start (expensive operation, because the right engine cover doesn't even have a hole for it and it needs many XL500R Honda parts), and that there are no oil leaks. Check for loss of air from the spark plug (from the cracks) and the threads of the 6mm bolts on the head cover.
Here is a picture of the FT500 Ascot so we are sure we re talking about the same bike. It sounded strange that you mentioned it was shaft drive
Check http://www.perardua.net/thumper/thumper.html for info on many singles.

Aris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ft500.jpg (28.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by ariszr7; 06-04-2002 at 06:23 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

damn, that sucks, most of the info I found said it was reliable, at this rate I'm never going to get a bike. oh well back to the drawing board. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode