Sad Day - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Sad Day

I live a 1/4 mile from Interstate 81 in Hagerstown,MD. Today, I had the misfortune of sitting in a traffic jam caused by an accident. While waiting, a medivac helicopter came and went. Upon arriving at the "point of accident" I realized that the accident involved two motorcyclists. There was a bike down in the median, and also a bike down off of the shoulder to the right. I don't know what happened, and I didn't see any other cars that may have been involved. Both of the bikes were Harleys. I'm a sportbike guy, but I still don't like to see other Motorcyclists get hurt. My thoughts go out to them and their families.

Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 04:27 PM

MY GAWD, hope they didn't spill their beers!!!!!!!!!

I can be such an ass but really, the surge in HD riders has brought the national riding skills average to an all time low. And not because they're on HD, but because they ride for reasons other than riding.

Hope they're okay, get us some more details if the paper/news reports get your way.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 03:18 AM

Likely a result of riding "side by side" as HD guys like to do?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 03:37 AM

yeah probably a car tried to change lanes into them and one of the riders hit the other.

Perhaps harley riders should learn to wear more protective gear. (yes, you know the stereotypical HD rider) Personally, I don't like the feel of insects hitting me at 140MPH, but then again, that's almost twice a harley's top speed

If they were wearing a decent set of sportbike rider (non squid) typical leathers and a full face helmet, I'd almost guarantee they probably wouldn't have needed the medivac, based on the scene you described.

And those traffic jams around here SUCK, don't they? One can only take so much slipping of the clutch in first before lane splitting begins.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 11:13 AM
UFO

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
And not because they're on HD, but because they ride for reasons other than riding.
Be careful. There are LOTS of sportbike riders that ride for reasons other than riding. Probably just as many as HD/cruiser riders. The poser factor is high in BOTH camps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 01:13 PM

You guys are a bunch of fuc$ing a$$holes. Two people wreck there bikes and need to get carried away from it in a helocopter and all you can do is rip on them because they ride HD's. Give me a fu$king break I hope a pack of harleys ride by you after you swamp it into the woods at a 140MPH and rip on you because you ride a sportbike.

I own a F4I its a blast but i'd love to have a harley also.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 10:10 AM

I have to agree with GMC on this one. I've owned Harleys before and I love them. I just happen to have an SV now, but I would definitely get another Harley. And saying that riding skills have gone down because of new Harley riders is naive. Compare a new guy on an 700 lb bike with 75 hp to a new guy on a 300 lb bike with 150 hp and tell me which new guy will more likely go down. Also, just because a person can do a wheelie and a stoppie doesn't mean you have skill. Just my .02, but anytime a rider goes down, it's not good for the sport.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 01:03 PM

As A Guy that Rides Both Harleys and Sportbikes, I Find Myself in This and other Forums Not coming To the Harley riders rescue alot of the times. In this instance I will not because It's a Harley Rider being Flamed But because It Is A fellow Rider THat Crashed Being Flamed. I doubt That These Guys crashed just Because They were Riding Harley's Every one has a chance of going down all the time It dosen't matter how good You are or think You are. In 35 Years I've Crashed On the street 1 time. Does That make Me a great Rider or just lucky? I'd say lucky cause the close calls are many more than I'd like to admit to but Years, skill, experiance, And LUCK got me out of them. All You can do in this Instance is thank God that It wasn't Your Turn. A lot of the time It Is because A 40- 50 Year old Guy went out and Bought His ego Booster And has either Gotten in over His head or It is because some asshole in a cage isn't watching where he's going. In any case It's not always The Harley'S fault Any more than It' A Spot Bkes Fault. All bikers (Ireguardless Of brand or Type Should Stick togeher) As It's still US against Them ( non Bikers). My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode