Peg Grind - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Talking Peg Grind

Well 20000ks on the bike, and I've just done my first peg grind. Its funny how it creeps up on you. I swear I was taking the corner at the same speed as I always do. Then BAM!!...big grind
I feel like Troy Bayliss
I guess it means I may be pushing my luck a bit. Though I did notice that my tires still aren't worn right to the edge
God I Love Motorcycles!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:16 PM

Pretty focking cool the first time isn't it. I remember working so hard to get that feeler down. Now I'm at track days dragging the actual peg..... and still getting passed on the outside

Oh well, there's always more to learn and you can always go faster. That's why it's fun, always new challenges.

Congrats
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
Now I'm at track days dragging the actual peg..... and still getting passed on the outside

Damn..For a second there I actually thought I was fast..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 03:01 AM

Guys!!! Grinding pegs ain't the object here. When you are grinding the pegs or feelers, you are OUT of cornering clearance. The idea is to get around the corners faster WITHOUT grinding anything. By the way, those peg feelers will crash you if they catch a little imperfection in the tarmac. Take them off! The pegs will touch down occasionally if you are cornering hard enough and the camber of the road changes, or you hit a little dip, especially riding 2-up because it compresses the suspension. The pegs will fold up out of the way, but that just lets you deck other stuff. God bless you if you deck the exhaust can just right.

If you are grinding pegs and stuff, you need to start hanging off the bike to get more cornering clearance. You need to start climbing off the bike before turn in and get back on the seat after you straighten the bike back up. Trying to climb off after you are at full lean will just upset the suspension. That means you need to PLAN the corner. If you are decking the pegs AND your knees, you had better be on a racetrack or go ahead and cancel Christmas because you ain't gonna last long on the street.

Apex,
I know you know better than that!!!

Last edited by GaBandit12; 05-31-2002 at 03:09 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:31 AM

To amplify just a little on what GaBandit said, when you find that your corner has you leaned over to your pegs AND hung off the bike... you are using the full envelope... there is nothing left for the UNPLANNED. On the track this is fine because there isn't supposed to be anything popping up UNPLANNED on the track.

On the street you are playing Russian Roulette because you have no control at all of that environment. If you are at 10/10 there is nothng left. If bad luck taps you on the shoulder then, you are down.

Bad Luck: Patch of dirt, gravel or oil. A cat, dog, cow deer, stupid cager, piece of trash in the wrong place. Pot holes. Camber change. Bug in your helmet.

And if you go down, your luck is just beginning. Think of all the nice things to roll up against: trees, cars, curbs, signposts, fences, barb wire, armco barriers...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Just to reassure you guys that I'm not pushing the envelope, I was hardly hanging off at all. As soon as I ground out the feeler I moved my body over and picked the bike up a little. The corner was a hairpin left hander up a hill and I doubt I was doing much more than 20MPH.
I don't think my bike has very good ground clearance either, coz it felt like a very comfortable speed for that corner.
When I start grinding on fast sweepers then I think I'd better take a reality check.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:14 AM

I'll also second GaBandit's advice..re: getting them dam feelers off..and If ya wanna push the bike a tad....take it to the track..trust me..it'll be the best thing ya ever did..

For me..the streets just aren't nearly as much fun anymore..ahhh..track dayz..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:21 AM

Yep...have you ever noticed that the faster you get on the racetrack the slower you get on the street?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GaBandit12

1]If you are grinding pegs and stuff, you need to start hanging off the bike to get more cornering clearance.

2]If you are decking the pegs AND your knees, you had better be on a racetrack

1]I was

2]I was

Turn 2 at Streets of Willow:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GaBandit12
Yep...have you ever noticed that the faster you get on the racetrack the slower you get on the street?

Funny huh. The faster I went at track days the more vulnerable I felt on the street knowing I didn't have the safety of the track.

Hopefully I'll be starting to race next season on the tracks near Dallas (moving there in Dec.). When I do I'll probably get a FJR13 for the street and cool it a bit. We'll see though.

Anyone seen a FJR wheelie/stoppie yet??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode