The Parental Intervention Factor - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Red face The Parental Intervention Factor

This post is aimed at both the younger riders and the older riders also. When the idea of owning a sportbike (or any motorcycle for that matter) became more than just an idea, how did you deal with the parents not wanting you to get one.

In my case my parents neither ride nor understand the thrill of riding. All they see it as is a "death trap" at which point I tell them, no a CAR is a death TRAP. In my 20 years of being under their supervision I haven't had too much trouble doing what I wanted and they realize that im old enough to make mature decisions.

However I still don't think that they are going to take to easily to the whole idea of me cruising around with no "seat belt". So if you had this problem with a parent or guardian, do tell. And if you yourself is a parent or guardian I wouldn't mind hearing your side of the story.

Take care.

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 06:53 AM

Well, motorcycles are dangerous and your parents are justified in their worrying. It has nothing to do with you or your maturity, it's the fact that 99% of auto drivers are morons and everytime you join them on the road you are exposed to a very high risk.

That said, riding a motorcycle is pretty fuggin' fun and an easy reminder that small joys are what make getting out of bed worth it.

But don't think that you will EVER convince your parents that you'll "be fine" on a bike. Maybe after years and years they might resign themselve to your 2 wheeled obsession. That's about the best you can hope for (unless you name is Travis Pastrana).

But dude, tread carefully. Waiting 'til your 30 to get a bike is better than totally alienating your parents over dumb shit like a motorcycle.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Yea I completely understand that... and no alienating would be done. If they were that against it to the point where it was the bike or them...c'mon now, im not an animal.

But ive brought it up in the past and they havent been too adamently against it, after all all of my moms cousins have some form of bike or another and my dad thinks their "really cool". So who knows.

Kyle

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:32 AM

A young fellow in town came up with a creative solution to the same dilemma. He negotiated with his parents and finally convinced his dad to take the MSF class WITH him.

Naturally, dad had such a great time that he started riding too. Needless to say, the young fellow's first bike was much nicer than what he was expecting to get

ALL fathers want to enjoy quality time with their sons, what better way to spend time with dad?

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:35 AM

Cool

now that is a brilliant solution!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:39 AM
elo

What it came down to for me was waiting until I was no longer dependent on my parents for me to get a bike. They paid for college, and I had this crazy idea that my edjumahkashun was more important than riding a motorcycle (in the long run.) They said that if I did buy a motorcycle then the rest of college was on me. I love my parents AND respect their wishes, so I didn't push it. I survived those bikeless years, though riding on the back with my friends was only partially satisfying.

I bought a bike about two weeks after I got married and we have had no less than two motorcycles in our posession since then.

Kids are in the far future, but we've already decided that while we'll supply them with pocketbikes and dirtbikes, their first street legal bike will be their responsibility. We view motorcycles as recreation and a priveledge, and want our kids to not be given everything. So, if they're 18 or 19 and can afford the bike AND insurance, then we'll support them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:46 AM

The idea to ask your father to take the MFS course is really smart. Before you do that, have all your homework lined up: the cost of a sensible first bike (this topic has been beaten to death here so there are lots of threads to check out), riding course, gear, and insurance. Maybe set some self-imposed guidelines: no riding after dark or on the freeways for the 750 miles, etc. Maybe if you present it reasonably they'll go for it. Wouldn't have worked for my parents though, I had to wait until I was from under their roof.

Good luck.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:34 AM

I was fortunate in that my Dad rode on the street and in the dirt. For me getting that first streetbike in highschool was not a big deal to them. For my kids, I've promised my daughter a mini-bike when she is big enough to control it. For you, I like the MSF idea, I bet your Dad would like it also.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:58 AM

Parents can be tough. Mine were pretty against it, I've seen worse though. I have a buddy who right now is going through the same deal with his parents. He's in for some trouble I'd say though, they actually get upset at the slightest mention of him and motorcycles and first thing they tell him is he's gotta take up all the college bills if he does that.

Lucky for me my college tuition is waived. My parents didn't like it though. I tried the whole get your Dad into it too, was a good try especially because my parents were seperated and my Dad was looking for some father son bonding. It still didn't work though. Eventually what it came down to was when I finally got the money to get one and everything else that I needed with it I just went ahead and bought it. Parents weren't happy but since I already had it they respected my wishes.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:14 AM

I think the issues are respect, independence, and worry (not necessarily in that order). To be honest, I don't know what my reaction would be if my 19 year old son wanted a bike. So far, he doesn't show much interest (off-road trucks are more to his liking). It also depends on how much your parents "provide" for you now. Are you expecting them to pay for it? Can you swing the bike, insurance, gear, etc yourself? Probably a good idea even if you have to wait until after college.

Getting dad to take the MSF course with you is a brilliant idea if he is willing. That will either win him over or really turn him off. I don't agree with the notion "If you get a bike, you're on your own and we'll cut you off". That shows a lack of communication and being unreasonable (illogical consequences) on the part of the parents. Ask them what it would take/when it would be OK for you to get a bike. Let them answer and have a discussion. You may be surprised. I had to wait until both my mother and wife didn't care any more. Mom's almost 90 and I guess wife figures kids are almost grown now so it's OK. I never felt strongly enough about it to try to convince them until recently and by then it was pretty easy. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode